1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg Portaflex 350 watt and Fender rumble4X10 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hevy T, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Thinking about getting the Ampeg Portaflex 350 watt and Fender rumble 4X10 Cab.

Any opinions on either piece or both:confused:

I am using a GK MB115 and like it, but I just don`t think it is going to cut it for a live situation with the band. Mine won`t be here until tomorrow but I rented another one for today for practice and my Ray 35 was distorting it like crazy. IDK maybe this rental has just been abused, mine sounds better, but if I use it on half all the time with a low B, do you think it just might end up being too much for it:confused:

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I bought a Portaflex 350 last year, and was very unimpressed by it (and no, it was not defective). I'm pretty sure most everyone else loves theirs, but I took mine back to the store. Of course, I compared it to my GK 800RB; a much louder head than the microbass head.

3. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Not sure but couldn't you add the GK 115 powered cab to the MB for a 2x15 stack?

4. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    It`s the older version with no speaker out and the XLR is running to the PA. Could I do that from the headphone jack

5. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Any info on this head and cab would be appreciated

6. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    bump

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Head sounds killer. No idea about that particular cab, though.

8. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Sep 30, 2012
    Have you tried the PF-500? Huge difference, IMO. Not a huge fan of those Rumble cabs. They sound pretty shallow, IMO.

9. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    If the Rumble 4X10 is similar to the 2X10 in the Rumble 350 Combo, I would advise you make sure you just listen to it first. I replaced the 2 X 10s in mine with Eminence Basslite S2010s and really understand what muddy means now. These are crystal clear, take the full power, but I now play on 2 instead of 5 at practice. Again you might like the sound, you just have to compare.

10. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    I believe you use the XLR out for the powered speaker on the MB II series. Not sure if you can do that with the older versions. No experience with the Rumble cabs. For a little bit more you could get the PF half stack.

11. hazmatt

hazmatt

Jun 3, 2012
    san diego
    does the cab push 4 ohm? because otherwise you may want to consider getting a more powerful head - I love the sound of my 350, but it is now relegated to backup duty as the 200 watts through my 8 ohm cab wasn't cutting it at some venues. The only complaint I have is that the DI out from the portaflex runs pretty hot, so unless you have an inline attenuator in your gig bag, you're at the mercy of whatever soundtech/board the house has if you need their support. It's as easy as flicking a -20db pad button if the board has one, but I've argued with sound guys who kept complaining I was distorted on their feed because they didn't know their ****.

12. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    Just played my first gig with the Rumble 350 combo modded with Basslite S2010s. I played on 2 1/2 with -6DB pad on without PA support and still was louder than the guitars which used the PA:)