1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Ampeg portaflex 350w: what cabinet set would work best?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andrea81, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Andrea81

Andrea81

Feb 22, 2018
    Hi folks ... I am nothing but a gear geek so forgive my profanities :)
    So I recently got an Ampeg portaflex 350w bass head and I am pondering what cabinet(s) would be a best fit. Since I am on a budget things can get complicated.
    My small knowledge of bass systems tells me a Peavey 210 2x10, 400 W, 8 Ohm (229 euro) would be the wise choice but there is that Eden E-Series Cab EX112 4 Ohm (223 euro) that is inviting because: 1) small, 2) Eden :D
    Still my limited knowledge tells me 35ow vs 300w is an uncommon idea.
    Eventually I am thinking to double it down to 2 Eden (which I can purchase over time). So the question is: a 350w head on a 300w cabinet is an absolute no no no? Or is it OK just for home usage at a limited volume and for a limited time (before I get two heads)?
    Cheers
    Andrea

2. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I think you'd be fine with either cab power wise. With an 8 ohm cabinet, you're not going to be getting the full 350 watts from the head. With the Eden 4 ohm, you would just need to not get crazy with the volume and if you start turning up the master, just listen for signs of the speakers getting stressed - which actually applies for any cab you're using.
    Actually, you will not be able to use 2 4 ohm cabinets with that head - the combination of 2 4 ohm cabs will present a 2 ohm load to the amp, which it can't handle.
    The PF350 is a great sounding head, IMO!

Andrea81 likes this.
  3. Andrea81

Andrea81

Feb 22, 2018
    This is avery usefull answer Jon, thanks!
    So I guess the idea of getting two 4 ohm Eden cabinet is gone ... so I guess the 8 ohm Peavey is winning the race. I'll use your judgment once more: if circumstance require (e.g. my band goes on tour) ... getting a second 400W 8 ohom Peavey cabinet ill be a good idea? plugging tow 8 ohm cabinets to the PF350 will result in a 4 ohm overall impetence resulting in a full 350W usage, right? In which case a total of 800w availability in the cabinets section is not a problem for my 350w head or is it?
    Again, thanks for your competent answer.

4. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Yep, adding that second 8 ohm 210 would be the way to go, IMO. You're adding speakers which really adds a lot more perceived volume overall. Also with 2-210s, you can stack the cabs vertically to get the speakers closer to your ears.
    Not sure of your budget, but you might want to also take a look at the Ampeg PF cabs which are designed to work with the PF heads. They make a really great sounding 210, but the 15 is also great sounding as well.

Also my guess is that some other PF350 users will chime in here as well so you'll probably get a bunch more opinions on cabs.

Andrea81 likes this.
  5. Andrea81

Andrea81

Feb 22, 2018
    Really, thank you so much for the help, this answer it all but more insightful opinion will be welcome :)
    Have a great day J- !

johnpbass likes this.
  6. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    In case you're interested, there's a great thread on here called the Portaflex Club. Lots of great folks and info on there. It's for the vintage Portaflexes like the B15 but also for the current PF line.

7. Andrea81

Andrea81

Feb 22, 2018
    By purchasing an Ampeg PF I had no idea I was joining a club but, it feels god! :)

8. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    It's not automatic, but if you want to be a member, just go to the thread and request a number. You don't have to be a member of the club though to post on the thread or ask questions.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021