1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Portaflex Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BIGEJ2, Sep 26, 2013.

1. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    I just ordered a new PF-500 and am now looking for a matching cab. I'd like to stick with the Portaflex series but am having a hard time deciding. For those of you that own them, what model did you buy and what do you like/dislike about them?

2. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I like the looks of the PF115LF. Price looks to good to be true though....

3. Stormer

Stormer

Jul 24, 2012
    I play a pf350 through the 210he cab.
    It sounds really good, especially using the pbass with flats. Nice round, warm tone.

I think the HE cabs are better than the LF, but don't quote me on that.

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    If you want a more vintage sounding cabinet with your PF500 then the original PF115HE will give you that, the PF115LF 57 Hz – 3.7 kHz is the ported version of the cabinet that they were originally going to use, but went with the PF115HE, which is a sealed

box and has a lower bottom frequency and a higher upper frequency. 50 Hz - 17 kHz. Jimmy M knows all the ends and outs of these cabinets. He was "in the loop" when they were prototyping them. I've played through the original PF210HE it's much more modern sounding than the

original PF115. Both cabinets sound good in their own way, so it kind of depends on what sound you want to have for your rig. I've heard that for gigs that need more push the PF 410LF is really amazing. They haven't show up at my local guitar center yet, at least when I was there.

None of the new cabinets sound exactly like a Double Baffle B-15N cabinet, but the PF 115 HE's are pretty darn close.

Ric

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Slight correction, Ric...I was not in the loop, and only got to try them at stores, and didn't find anything about them before anyone else. Did have a couple PF115he's for a while, though. Very nice sounding cab...a little low tuned for my tastes, though, as I prefer cabs like the 810e. If I did it over again, I'd probably do the PF210he as it's tuned a little bit higher. Still haven't been able to try the two newest cabs, but they go super low.

6. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Thank you all. Ampeg is currently offering a mail-in rebate on the LF that ends on the 30the so I have to decide rather quickly if I want that deal.

I always had the understanding that a sealed cab had a smaller usable frequency range than ported cab. Meaning a ported cab could go lower and higher than a sealed cab. Is this not true and do you feel the range between the LF and HE are significantly different?

I really do like the sound of an old school B-15 if that helps.

Also, has anyone had issues with the latches rattling on the HE's?

7. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    I owned the PF210HE and I soon realized I didnt really care for Sealed cabs. I couldnt get the low end out of those i prefered. It also didnt handle what i threw at it very well. I bought the PF410HLF and I love the low mids it has.

That said you may love the PF210HE or PF115HE, but i prefer the PF115LF and PF410HLF myself. They seem to handle power a bit better.

You do lose the awesome fliptop design when you switch to the HLF cabs too btw.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The closest to the old B-15's IMHO is the PF210he, although the PF115he sounds like one as well, albeit with a lower low end than the B-15 cabs. And don't be fooled by them being sealed. They still go as low or lower than most ported cabs. As for the latches, I never had a problem with them at all, except the first day I got the second one. It apparently took a bang in transit and one got a little bent, but I un-bent it and it was fine after that. They're way better than the latches used on the original B-15's, I'll tell you that much.

9. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Thanks Jheake. I'm torn over the flip flop design. Its cool and I like the idea for storage and portability, but I remember trying a used one out at Guitar Center and the latches wouldn't hold tight. The cab was up on a second shelf in a tiny room so I didn't spend much time with it at all. In fact, I don't remember a thing about how the cab sounded, just that the latches weren't tight.

10. DalibortheBeast

DalibortheBeast

Aug 10, 2011
    I own the pf115he cab and it sounds great. My issue was with the rattling latches which can be easily solved by wrapping the ends of the latches with rubber bands or better yet some very small hair ribbons. I snagged a few black and purple from my niece and I change them when they get old. It also keeps the flip top nice and tight.

11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    As usual, Jimmy is spot on. I have a 210HE with my PF-500 and use that cab fairly often with other heads or as an extension cab for my B15. It's not a perfect match, but it's pretty close. A bit stiffer in the mids. And yes, those new latches are definitely an improvement over the original style.

12. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    UPDATE: I went with the PF115LF. With the rebate, the price is too good to pass up. Its an Ampeg and 1x15", so it can't be bad.

13. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Big fan of the 410HLF here.

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I have a pf210 at my house. It'll make most any amp sound like an Ampeg. Not subwoofer type bass but lots of output in the "fat" region. My only complaint (for my tastes) is that it would be nice if the woofers reached a little higher, like uppermid high, not tweeter high. I find myself having to leave the tweeter on it's low setting ( -6db? ) to round out the topend, but then you get a little of the too high "tweeter topend" along with it.

All in all, can't complain though. Packs a big punch for a 210, and if you're someone who plays flats and/or rolls your tone knob down, the tweeter thing is a non-issue.....plus it's pretty. :)

15. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Probably has to do with where the crossover is set. I've been tempted to pull mine out and wire the speakers direct to the jack. Even bought a pair of jacks. Just never got around to doing it.

16. SuperK

SuperK

Sep 12, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Congrats on the new cab. It'll sound awesome with the PF500. I have the PF500 with the PF115HE and I plan to add a second 115HE soon. Don't sweat the latches. I mounted my amp to the lid so I'm constantly opening and closing the latches. No problems.

Regarding the PF500, the best piece of advice I got from JimmyM was to ignore the clip light next to the gain knob. When the light flashes is when it starts sounding sweet!

17. SuperK

SuperK

Sep 12, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Never mind. I see you went with the HLF. No flip top latches to worry about!