Ampeg Portaflex Help!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by James008899, Feb 11, 2020.

1. James008899

James008899

Feb 11, 2020
    Hey, I currently gig with Ampeg Portaflex 350 head and 115HE cab.
    So far I’ve managed to play gigs no problem, and bigger venues thanks to the DI out so amp volume hasn’t been much of a problem out front. However I think it’s time to invest in something a little bigger.
    I do love the Portaflex, tone, portability and price are all great so would like to just get the higher watt versions.

would I be able to use the PF 800 head, and run it through the 115 cab I already have? And for bigger gigs also use the 210 cab added to the stack?
    Thank, any help would be super appreciated

2. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    You could just add another cabinet like you have . You would get another 100 watts and the added speaker would give you much more volume than just more power . 350 watts through a couple of 15s would be much louder than your rig now . You could get a PF-800 , that's what I use , but I know I could use a PF-350 and have plenty of volume for my fairly loud rock band .

johnpbass likes this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You certainly could, although personally I prefer matching cabs. However, if you expand, I'd get a second cab first and see how it goes with the 350.

johnpbass likes this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    First off, welcome to TalkBass!!!!!

As already mentioned, I would grab another identical cab to the one you have. Double the speaker surface area will give you more volume than double the wattage every time.

Novarocker likes this.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

I’d get another 115.

I ran the PF800 with a 115 and 210 for a while. Sounded great but I wish I would have gotten two 115’s as the 210 reached its limit well before the 15.

6. James008899

James008899

Feb 11, 2020
    Hey thanks for that advice. What advantages would you have over the 2 15s rather than a mix of 15 and 210s?

7. James008899

James008899

Feb 11, 2020
    Cheers guys, it looks like everyone has the same opinion, choosing the 2 15s rather than split between 15 and 210s. What are the pros and cons of choosing the 215 compared to the 10s and 15 setup? Thanks again for helping - much appreciated

8. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

See my post above..the 210 reaching it's mechanical limit well before the 15 is why I didn't like mixing those cabinets.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022