1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Portaflex question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MacPark, Jul 3, 2014.

1. I am looking at the option of running a Ampeg Portaflex 800 into a portaflex 115 cab and a Portaflex 410 cab Will this run well together?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not as well as two of the same cab. You will always be limited in volume by the 115, plus you will have a volume imbalance and you may not like how both cabs end up being EQ'd.

CL400Peavey likes this.
  3. Better to go with 2 410's?

4. Jimmy is spot on (as usual).

I recommend you try out a few different cabs. Find which ever one suits you best with the amp.

Jimmy prefers the PF-115he in the Portaflex line. I prefer the PF-115LF. You may prefer the PF-410HLF or the PF-210he. Heck you may prefer a cab from a different ampeg line, or (sorry Jimmy) a different manufacturer (my ultimate preference with the amp).

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Maybe. Or maybe you'll prefer one of the 15"s better.

CL400Peavey likes this.
  6. What cab would be better for me playing stoner rock/ heavy rock music? A 4x10 or a 115? I do use a bit of fuzz effect from time to time too.

7. Probably a used Ampeg 810e.

Of if that is too big, a 410he with the tweeter turned off.

As a learning example Ampeg makes several 410's. SVT-410HLF, SVT-410he, PF-410HLF, Heritage SVT-410HLF, PN-410HLF. They all sound different.

JimmyM likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    For stoner rock, I'd use the biggest cab I could take around, which would, indeed, be the 810e. However, the PF410hlf goes much lower than the 810e in the lows, so if you like those big lows, two PF410he's would be the ticket.

9. So a SVT810 for a portaflex 800 would run well together? I also play alot of c standard tunning if thats gonna make alot of difference

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well some folks like those big big lows of the HLF cabs for downtuning, but for a low C, I think an 810e does just fine. And yes, the PF800 is an 800w amp, and the 810e will easily handle 800w, and it'll be capable of going so loud it'll make you puke if you need to. Not that we need to unless we have the flu or are really really drunk, but it's there if you need it.