Ampeg: Portaflex vs BA210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rickter, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Rickter

Rickter

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Recently went to the local GC to kill some time and tried out the Ampeg V4B reissue and matching cab. Loved that Ampeg round sound. So, started considering how to get it. Duh, buy an SVT you might say. Well, yeah, but I don't have 1700 to part with. Dont even have 1200 to part with for the V4b.

So, started looking at the Portaflex heads. Played through several Ampeg cabs all the way up to the fridge. Still just didn't feel I was getting anywhere near to that tone. Went and tried the BA210 combo. Almost immediately got the tone I was looking for. It's not exactly that big, round, pillow of tube tone, but it's really close to my ear.

So am I crazy that I'm hearing such a huge tonal difference between the Portaflex heads and the BA series? Has anyone else noticed this?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I have not played the BA210 yet, but while I enjoy the SS Portaflex heads and the other BA combos I've played, if the BA210 hit the spot for you, then I say go with it. I hear similarities in all of Ampeg's gear, but I also hear differences as well, so it's all good.

Rickter likes this.
  3. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Resurrecting this thread...

Tried out an Ampeg BA210 v2 at the local store -- sounds good to me, but does anyone have any A/B comparison thoughts between the BA210v2 and a solid state Portaflex system? Say, a Portaflex 500 (or 350) + 2x10 cabinet?

4. Rickter

Rickter

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I've long since moved on, but my hang up on the Portaflex heads vs the BA210 combo was that the Portaflex heads just sounded anemic to my ears. Even through the classic fridge they were just missing an elusive "something" that to my ear was critical to the the Ampeg tone I am used to and was hearing in my head. I really wanted to like the Portaflex heads at the time, but I just couldn't get past them not sounding "right".

5. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    And it sounds like from your initial post you thought the BA210 better captured the classic Ampeg tone?

Curious what you ended up moving on to instead, and were you still seeking a similar tone?

6. Rickter

Rickter

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah that was pretty much it. Additionally I had a friend whom is a much more accomplished bassist than I, and at the time he was involved in several different regularly gigging projects, whom had a BA210. When the need arose he had the capacity for adding on an Ampeg 410HE cab. His tone was always solid and had that trademark Ampeg roundness and punch, even though the rig was fully solid state.

As for me, I ended up going with a GK1001RBII through a Peavey Headliner 410 (sealed, tweeterless cab). This arose from my playing a GK800RB through an Ampeg 810 Classic years and years ago and loving the combination of the immediacy and punch. My current rig does a pretty decent job at approximating that same tone and feel. Found the GK used for just under $400 and the 410 was roughly $150 used.

trothwell likes this.
  7. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Ended up buying the BA210(v2) at the local store, rather than ordering something I had not tried out before. Sounding very good so far!

Rickter likes this.