Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Power Distribution

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sanctum, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Ok, I've been following some ampeg volume threads and looking into Ohm load threads too, and while the relationship between amp/cab ohm loads makes sense to me in theory, I thought I would ask about my specific rig set up to clear my head:

SVT3 Pro Head
    275 watts @ 8 Ohms
    450 watts @ 4 Ohms

Cabs
    SVT Classic 410HE 500 watts @ 8 Ohms
    SVT Classic 18E 175 watts @8 Ohms

So the head should be running at the full 450 with these two cabs eh? How does the power distribution work though? I mean there is quite a wattage difference between these two cabs, so does each one get 225 watts, or 450 each or ???

I also dont understand the series vs parallel wiring cab issue, but maybe thats for another time :)

I've also not really had any volume probs with this rig as others with SVT3 Pros have posted - but the newer ampeg cabs are really pumping - i played some today with an eden head. anyhow, too much rambling now, thanks for any input.

Greg

2. another question .. say i was gonna add a power amp to this rig and use the tube pre-amp of the SVT - what watt/ohm output should i be looking for to use with these cabs?

Greg

3. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    You will get 225 W per cab if you connect the cabs in parallel (which is how they're wired). So the two of them connected to your amp putting out 450 will be optimal. If you want to use a seperate power amp, run an instrument cable from the preamp out on the Ampeg to the input on the power amp. Get a power amp that supports 4 ohm loads (almost all do, some even 2,4,8, 16 ohm). Hope I was helpful...