Ampeg PR-15H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brutalmetalguy, Dec 15, 2003.

1. I have an Ampeg PR-410HLF that I run through an Ampeg SVT 4 PRO. I am considering adding an Ampeg PR-15H to my rig, partly because it matches and I want to be cool like that, and partly because I have been very happy with Ampeg's performance thus far. Can somebody who plays through, or has played through, this cabinet tell me some things about it? Does anyone agree or disagree with me about purchasing this cabinet? Does anyone know why Ampeg discontinued this model, and should that serve as a warning to me?
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Ampeg probably discontinued it because they didn't sell many of them.

I may have played through one if my local GC had one in the bass room, but I usually flip the selector to the PR-410HLF...I love those cabinets!

Have you tried it? Do you like it? That's what counts.

If you need technical info, I have old catalogs at home and can look it up later. Just say the word.
  3. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I had one for a while, and I wish I had not returned it (to GC). The construction of the Pro series is very good, and the sprayed-on finish is a nice break from rat fur.

It is one of the largest 1x15's in terms of internal volume, and it goes low with authority. It can also be a bit boomy so you have to watch out for that.

Bill's probably right - they discontinued it because few people were buying a 70+ lb. 1x15 that cost $600.

It'll add some loose low end to your 410HLF, that's for sure.

4. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA

I know! Every time I'm in GC and I hear a tone I really like, it turns out to be someone playing a 4x10 or 8x10, usually an Ampeg HLF.

5. Thanks, you two for the info. I think I am going to go ahead a buy it. They are hard to find now, new, so this is definately a good thing. About the technical info, I really appreciate it, but there is no need for you to go through all that trouble. I think that Ampeg sends a technical book with all their cabs. But I really do appreciate the help. Thanks again.
  6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    yeah man, I have the PR-410hlf. i really don't see how you would need another 1x15, but it could sound good. my 410 is a beast!