1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg PR-1832 (167 pounds of cabinet)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matty1039, Jan 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    Saw this on the local Craigslist: Ampeg PR-1832 cabinet. 1x18" sub, 2x10", 2x6.5" speakers. Weighs 167 pounds! Jeez what a monster to move. If the 8x10 is a fridge this thing must be a walk-in freezer.

I don't know a lot about Ampeg but this seems like an unusual cabinet. The ad says it was designed with Victor Wooten. Anyone know when this cabinet is from or any other details?

Ampeg PR-1832-HE Bass speaker cab
    (not my ad)

mikewalker likes this.
  2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    They are from the 90's. I always thought it would be cool to have two of them for a d00m band.

Amory2113 and matty1039 like this.
  3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Ah, that was from back when men were MEN and the 'fridge was deemed too light for a REAL player :D.
    Peavey had a 1x18+2x10 also - I suspect there were others in this "class".

I actually had a Peavey 1x18 that wasn't all that heavy - I could pick it up and carry it myself, no wheels.

matty1039 likes this.
  4. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    Two of them would be the ultimate doom rig. This is the new bar against which I will measure all others.

mikewalker likes this.
  5. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    Now those men who were MEN need back surgery.

lermgalieu, BadExample and kesslari like this.
  6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    ... and replacement knees/hips ...

BadExample and matty1039 like this.
  7. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Dave Green (greenboy) used to have one of those cabs back before the whole fEARful adventure started. You could probably find some of his comments on TB via a search.

matty1039 likes this.
  8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I remember the time I played through one with an SVT-4. It had a "remote earthquake" kind of effect where it rumbles nearby but also at equal intensity like 100 ft away. Probably a darker sounding cab maybe ideal for dub with the room-filling earthquake but I am sure it has potential for massive droney d00m.

steelbed45 and matty1039 like this.
  9. Hey Charlie, do you think this is the cab that inspired Dave to
    design the fEARful with light weight and full range in mind? :laugh:

Passinwind likes this.
  10. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I have one of these. Glad it has wheels but I wish I was a bit shorter when moving it.
    It's not quite as tall as an 8x10 and has the footprint of a washing machine.

I used to run it Biamped. the 1x18 section of it is 4 ohms and the everything else section is 4 ohms.
    Works just as well switched to full range mode. Very versatile cabinet from a different time.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    matty1039, mikewalker and Gabbs like this.
  11. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    I had the Peavey 18" / 2×10"...it was heavy.

matty1039 and Cowboy in Latvia like this.
  12. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I believe the fEarful design began with a retrofit to Dave’s Carvin LS1503 cabinet.

13. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    There was one in a pawnshop back home over Christmas...I decided to lift it and see what it would be like to move in case I wanted to buy it. That was not the right move as it was made of osmium.

14. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Only 2 pounds more then the SVT810 of it's time.

15. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    If you ever own one of these I guarantee you will gain an appreciation for the concept of compact and lightweight.

16. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    I remember those. This cab was an answer to a question nobody asked and remains an example of being able to do something although you really shouldn’t.

I’m surprised the pitchforks haven’t been drawn and the torches haven’t been lit because of this cab’s multiple mixed-driver violations. I guess TB loves Ampeg and Wooten now as much as it loved Dan Lakin in 2009!

matty1039 likes this.
  17. If I owned a bar, with a permanent backline that never, ever had to move,
    I'd want one.. or two.
    As it is, I am glad to have a fEARful 15/6/1 to take to gigs.
    If I ever feel like I have it too easy, I do own an unpowered 361 cab.

Randy Ward likes this.