Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg PR-1832HE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KillMary, Feb 21, 2001.

1. KillMary

KillMary

Jan 25, 2001
    I sold my Carvin 4x10s a while back and now I'm in the market for new speakers for my Ampeg SVP-Pro/SVT300 setup. I was going to get a 2x10 and 1x18 from Eden but I keep looking at this cabinet at our local Guitar Center store and I just lust after it. It's an 4ohm 4-way cabinet which would divide the frequencies among the speakers - I can't do that any other way since the SVT300 isn't bi-amped. This cabinet is just made for an SVT head. The only thing that keeps me from getting it is the fact that it weights 168lbs.
    Does anybody have one? How do you guys think it compares to a 2x10/horn + 1x18?

[​IMG]

2. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    I own one and have been very happy with it. Prior to buying the cab, I played several 4x10's with horns and thought that the frequency response of the 1832 was extremely flat using either SWR 350 or an Ampeg B2R; that is all notes sounded dynamically even in terms of intensity. My bandmates also liked the sound.

3. KillMary

KillMary

Jan 25, 2001
    Hey Jeff,

Is it a drag to carry around? I can't think it would be more cumbersome than a 2x15 or 8x10. Is the sound pretty punchy (as in typical Ampeg sound)? I can't test it at high volumes at the store of course so I can't really tell.

4. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    The sound is definitely punchy. And the 18" speaker lets you feel air movement. I have not had to lug the cab up steps, but moving the cab around is no problem. I drive a van, so loading the cab into my vehicle is easy; I've never needed help to load it. If you get a chance to demo the cab by turning it up, I believe you will be happy with it.