1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg PR-410+? single 15"+? head...comments needed.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MeYHymN, May 3, 2006.

1. MeYHymN

MeYHymN Habitual User

Nov 7, 2004
    Charleston, WV
    Ok, I'm finally breaking down and buying my performance rig. The only thing I've decided so far was the Ampeg PR 410HF (I have access to a store demo for $500 even, how can I pass that up?). The only thing I don't like is it's rated at 4Ohms. I will be seeking a single 15" cabinet to go with it. Also I'll need the head or poweramp to power both of those. My questions boil down to this.
    Most single 15" cabinets I've seen are 8 ohms. Several of the heads I've looked at won't run under 4 ohms. So, do I buy a Stereo or Bi-Amp head? How would it handle the differential load? Does a Bi-Amp head treat both loads separately? If I run them in parallel it should work out to 2.66 ohms. Would I be better off with a Pre/power-amp rack unit (I'd rather not due to cost)? What single 15" would you recommend that would compliment the 410. I looked at the Ampeg SVT 15E and to be honest, shallow, and superficial I don't think it's asthetically pleasing with the PR410. Thank you for your time. FWIW, I'm trying to keep the head and 15" under $1000.00 total so I'm probably going to avoid the pre/poweramp setup.

2. I used to run a PR 410HL. Those cabs are killer. Probably the single most solid cab I have ever seen. If it were me, I would go with the matching PR 115. You can pick one up used and stay in your budget.

3. MeYHymN

MeYHymN Habitual User

Nov 7, 2004
    Charleston, WV
    A search of the PR 115 came up fruitless. But I'll keep searching, sounds like exactly what I need.
    Thanx. Now if I can just get the head unit nailed down I'll be in business.

Ampeg's site mentions nothing of a PR 115 model?

4. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    The PR 410 HLF a d@mn good stand alone cab with a lot of punch & a ton of low end. try it first, you may not need an additional 15. the pr15 was disontinued FYI

5. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Yeah, the PR410HLF has a nice amount of bottom end. I have read of some folks saying it has nicer lows than 15's.

Give it run without a 15 first, you may be pleasantly surprised.

I have an SVT4 and PR410HLF. Great setup.

6. I just tried out a PR410HLF today. It was the best low bass I have heard out of a cabinet to date (not counting dedicated subwoofers). In fact it might be the first time I've heard an open B string at the true fundamental frequency. This makes sense since it is rated -3dB at 33 Hz. An open B is 30.87 Hz, so hardly any of the cabinets on the market, typically rated -3dB in the 40-60 range, can sound that fundamental. Many of us probably have a flawed perception of what a B sounds like because it is often dominated by overtones.

Does anyone know of cabinets that go down to the low 30s at the -3dB rating? I have poked around a little and not found one yet. The only problem with that Ampeg cabinet is that it weighs 128 pounds. That's a great cabinet to play through if you have roadies...

7. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The PR-410hlf is a sweet cab and I am not quite sure why you would want an extra 15 cab? The PR-410hlf will put most 15's to shame with it's superior low end responce and the quickness and punch of the 10's. 15's will give you a boomy sound and not much punch. The PR-410hlf will be great for live use because you get the lows, the punch, and the high end. It's heavy, but worth it. Oh yea...

8. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The only other Ampeg cab that can do massive low end is the SVT 18. Paired with the PR-410hlf might be a little insane low end wise. The SVT 15e, I agree with you MeYHymN, it is a wimpy sounding 15. Maybe paired with a Tube Amp the sound would be better, but that cab needs more wattage with MOSFET.

9. CraigV

CraigV

Jan 8, 2002
    I've had a PR-410HLF about 3+ years now, have used it with an SVT-4PRO and now an SVT-CL. It's everything the guys here have stated. I doubt there's another cabinet as well-braced....even playing the fat strings you barely feel any vibration on it. It's only flaw IMO is a lack of well-positioned handles....it's a very large box and ungainly to lift. Add a few handles near the top, and replace the puny 1-1/2" casters with some 3" or larger, and you're all set.

For $500, unless it's been beaten to death, it's a steal. Find out if the store is selling it as new so you can get the Ampeg warranty.