Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg PR-410HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ferd315, Mar 20, 2003.

1. ferd315

ferd315

Sep 20, 2001
    Us, Fl, Tampa
    Hi,
    I was wondering if any one has had the chance to play one of these cabinets? My friend has one and is less than happy with it. He told me he would sell it to me for $500, they go for 1200 or more. I have heard many people talk about other Ampeg cabs but this one seems to be forgotten. Any suggestions or testimonials would be great. Thanks

http://www.etr1.com

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If someone offered me one for $500, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. To me, this is Ampeg's best kept secret.

Victor Wooten used to use a pair of these in concert, now he uses the BXT series (or what ever they're called).

The low end on the PR410HLF is awesome...the only other Ampeg cabinet that compares is the SVT610HLF and to my ears it far surpasses the SVT410HLF.

I think the fact that they're different looking, big, heavy and expensive is the reason that it's not more popular.

3. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I agree $500 is a nice price for the cab. I just recently went shopping for a new Ampeg cab and A/Bed the PR410HLF and the classic 410HLF; the PR has more of a modern sound and the classic is, well, more classic sounding. I personally preferred the looks and tone of the 410HLF, but both cabs are great.

I would try it out -- it's definitely a quality box.

4. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    The Ampeg PR series speakers are amazing. I used one at Guitar Center during a demo, and it rocked. Superb low-end.

$500 sounds super reasonable.

The only issue I had with the cab was that it was pretty large and heavy.