Ampeg PR1832

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greg R, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Greg R

Greg R

Mar 11, 2003
    Avonmore, ON
    I bought this cabinet used a couple of months ago for what I thought was a great price. I can't find much info other than the Ampeg manual and I don't think these cabs were sold for very long. Bottom line : will it hold up and do you use one?
  2. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    I do and like it alot. It will hold up.
  3. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I have the pr-1528he that i bought used off ebay a little over a year ago, and i love it! I don't gig, so i can't comment on how well it will hold up.

Tell me a little how you use yours--bi-amped? what kind of head, basses etc?

I bi-amp mine w/ a hartke 5000 and have a '74 p-bass, dean edge-4 improv czech-thru; and 2 reverend rumblefishes, a 4 and a 5; i also use a yamaha ne-1 parametric box. I think this gives a tremendously flexible rig--tube or ss pre-amp plus i can pan between the 2-8" and 1-15 to really dial in the right tone--plus i think the configuration of this cabinet, being deep and having the big driver at an angle, really gives this cab some growl!! I can see how it would be a bear to haul around, though!:D
  4. Greg R

Greg R

Mar 11, 2003
    Avonmore, ON
    I haven't actually biamped it yet and may not bother. It's more than enough to lug from house to stage to house so carrying yet another amp doesn't sound like fun.

Right now I'm using a Peavey Nitrobass head and sometimes a Yorkville 4B and they're both pretty equal in terms of power.

For basses I mainly use a Spector NS5, a '76 P-Deluxe and a Danelectro Longhorn reissue. Around the house I use a Squire Jazz 5 and a Samick 4 string. Rarely do I plug them in, mostly just play along with a metronome to keep my hands in shape.
  5. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    I've hauled mine around a lot. Now its in one permanent place. I've thought about bi-amping also but thought that having to buy a crossover (more weight and money) it wasn't worth it. I run a QSC amp bridged at 1000 watts and have been really happy with the sound. As for the weight, I think the cab weighs as much as an 8x10...a lot of people use them and I don't hear many complaints. Whats the problem with the weight?
  6. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Re: biamping. I have found this to be very useful to quickly and easily "shape" my tone with one control by adjusting the "pan" control between high freq. output and low Freq output. I do this all out of the Hartke 5000 head.

An example of how this is useful is when i use an EH bassballs effect, it seems to alter the tone significantly: if i want a little more high and mid, i can favor the 2-8" speakers; if I want a little more low end, I can favor the 1-15"
  7. DaveV

Aug 30, 2007
    I have an PR1832 Extreme. I have mine bi-amped right now and it's 'ok'. I'm using it w/ an SVT4-Pro.
    I'm not crazy about the rig.. I've heard some Peavy amps/cabs and David Eden that I like better.
  8. greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Every person whose passed through a band I've played in at some point came up to me during a gig break with their jaw dragging on the floor wondering how the hell I was getting that output and that sound - and with no PA support yet! Perhaps its how you have it dialed in, what you are driving it with ... or maybe it's just not "your sound".
  9. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I have never even seen one of these before, what do you guys think of them these days?

Would my SVT 3 Pro drive it okay?

I supply backline from time to time, usually my SVT 3 Pro and a cab. I came across one of these, thought that I could keep it in my garage with a cover and use it for backline instead of my new 810E or 212 AV cabs.

Yes, I know that there are cheaper, simpler solutions. But I like the idea of trying different stuff as well.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  10. anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Mmm... cool. I'm thinking this old post might just be revealing the inspiration for the cabs greenboy would later go onto design...
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Partially, but 3 way designs have been around for decades, and his cabs are all direct radiators and not isos. There's a Carvin 3-way PA cab that was probably the bigger inspiration. Folks on here would replace the woofer with a 3015lf when they first came out, and Greenie was inspired by that to design cabs that optimized the 3-way design with the 3015lf and 3012lf.