Ampeg PR1832HE blown 10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by themusicmonkey, Apr 19, 2012.

  1. I'm picking up an Ampeg PR1832HE with a blown 10 for a 100 dollars. I don't want to recone it, but I don't know where to go from here. Does anybody know what part is appropriate for this cabinet? I know it's a two 10", 150 watt low frequency transducers, but that's about it. I'm not getting it professionally done, to save money, so I'm doing it myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. will33


    May 22, 2006
    If there's 2 of them, you need to have the bad one reconed, or replace BOTH. NO mismatched drivers operating in the same space, ESPECIALLY when it comes to crossovers, 2,3,4-way cabs, etc.

    They're midbass drivers, not way low freq., the 18 handles that, so if you do want to replace both for whatever reason, the Emi. Delta10A is a good candidate assuming it uses a 4ohm load in that passband, which I think it does, but not 100% sure.

    FWIW, reconing replaces everything but the magnet and frame, not just the cone.
  3. I looked up your suggestion, and they're 8 ohm speakers? And after your description, I'm considering reconing as well now...
  4. will33


    May 22, 2006
    Yes, putting the pair in parallel at 4ohms running around 98-99db. Confirm the originals are also 8ohms each, for a total of 4, or just re-cone the originals. It's usually close to 1/2 price of new drivers to a point, $50-$60 each being an average minimum for the work.

    Also inspect the rest of the cab and crossover. Make sure the driver is indeed blown and that is the only problem. An under-spec'd inductor on the low-pass section...or old, leaky cap...are also potential crossover problems, check that.
  5. Carnie


    Jun 10, 2012
    I would have suggested goin to SLM for a replacement driver, but I'm pretty sure I ordered the last or second last one they had in stock 5 or 6 years ago.

    The specs for the drivers are in the manual, might come in handy: