Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg preamp with 350x

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by easy, Apr 27, 2005.

1. easy

easy

Mar 16, 2005
    seattle
    okay, silly question for most of you, I'm sure, but I've searched and could not figure it out:

could I use an Ampeg preamp (like the SVPCL classic bass preamp) with my SWR 350x?

If so, would it render the tone controls on the 350 useless, because all of that would be controlled from the preamp?

would it be a good idea?

to be perfectly honest, I know very little about pre- and poweramps

2. It is my understanding that if you were to hook up an external preamp to your 350x then you would bypass the swr preamp entirely. I dont think it is possible to use both.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    in order to use the tone controls on the swr you would have to plug the preamp out of the ampeg into the swr's front input. this would have you going thru both preamps and will sound different than just the ampeg.

in order to use just the ampeg you would need to plug the preamp out of the ampeg into the effects return of the swr, and turn the effects blend on the swr all the way to the right (max effects/wet)

for real fun, try this. plug your bass into the swr front input. run a line from the tuner out of the swr into the front input of the ampeg. (the tuner out is before the preamp in the swr circuit). then plug the preamp out of the ampeg into the swr's effects return jack. turning the effects blend all the way to the right will give you just ampeg, all the way to the left will give you just swr, and anywhere else will mix the two. :cool:

4. easy

easy

Mar 16, 2005
    seattle
    heh, that sounds like fun

what do you guys think of using an ampeg preamp like this, though? would it be clearly better, or just a matter of taste?