Ampeg Pro series cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Moote, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Hey, what do you guys think of the Ampeg Pre series cabs???

I'm looking into the PR-410 HLF, is it any good. It seems to me just a cab that will give me the Ampeg sound, but handle the Low B. What's the deal. If I push it with a SVP-PRO and a DCM1000 (1000W @ 4 ohms) I think it will rock.

2. This is the large front ported 4x10 correct? With the back side that kind of angles down at the top? If so, then i think this setup would be amazing...i played one with like 270 watts going into it, and it killed then volume and tone wise....a dcm 1000 with a nice ampeg pre or any nice pre for that matter would be a very nice rig.
  3. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Its a decent cab, but once you play an Eden, you'll be pissin' your pants about how terrible that Ampeg sounded. Trust me.

plug in here--> EDEN RULES!!!!:D
  4. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    See specs from their web site (copied below). I checked it out briefly because a local shop had one on sale for a really good price about a year ago. After I looked at the sensitivity (96 dB) and the weight (128 lbs.!), I turned my attention to other cabinets. I'm sure it would sound nice with a LOT of power, but it's probably a real bear to move. I think maybe what Ampeg means by "Professional Series" is that you make enough money to hire your own roadies to move that stuff!
    - Mike

PR-410HLF Pro Series Enclosures

Dimensions : 30 x 26 x 19
    Weight : 128 Pounds
    Component 1: Magnet Weight : 56oz
    Component 1: Size : 4x10' Cast
    Component 1: Voice Coil : 2.5'
    Component 2: Magnet Weight : 10oz
    Component 2: Size : Horn/Driver
    Component 2: Voice Coil : 1'
    Crossover Frequency : 4kHz
    Frequency Response (-3 dB) : 33-18KHz
    Maximum SPL : 124 dB
    Nominal Impedance : 4 ohms
    Program Handling : 1200 Watts
    RMS Handling : 600 Watts
    Sensitivity : 96dB
    Usable Low Frequency (-10dB) : 29Hz
  5. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    I traded my Eden D410XLT in for an Ampeg PR410HLF. The Ampeg is heavier, but to my ears doesn't have the pronounced mid-hump of the Eden, which I just didn't care for. I've driven it with an Mackie 1400i and QSC PLX3002, and it hasn't complained yet. Handles the low B just fine.

When I did the trade, I was lucky enough to have both cabinets side-by-side. Neither cab was noticeably louder/quieter than the other. I just felt the Ampeg had a smoother, meatier sound.

YMMV, but I'm happy with mine!
  6. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW

sorry, i just had to try this!:D
  7. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    :oops: :D
  8. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    hahaha, ok thanks guys.

I dunno, I'll go pick one up at the store (literally pick it up) to see if it is too heavy for me to move.

Thanks for the help, but it might be too heavy for me.
  9. I recently played the PR-410 hlf at the guitar center and I liked what I heard but when I had it fairly loud (about how loud it would need to be in a band situation) the speakers would pop when I would hit a low note with some force. The eden sounds way better IMO.