Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Jun 25, 2003.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    so i just got my svt 810e a couple weeks ago. i love how it sounds. however i have a problem with it. i have an mia jazz, svp pro, and qsc rmx 850 that i run briged into the cab. at practice when i play the 13th fret on my e string, a couple of the speakers "buzz" real bad. then when we played a show last week, all of them kept doing it on most notes.

now i got rid of my peavey tvx 810 for my ampeg, because the ampeg is rated at twice the power. but the peavey didn't do this, and the ampeg does. is this a recurrent ampeg problem with the svt 810e? or is this just a problem with the one i got? i'm taking it back to the dealer, but i wanted to hear your take on this. let me know. thanks.

also...i wanted to upgrade my power amp to the rmx 1450 for the extra headroom. is this going to be a problem?

2. That really sucks.:meh: Take it back.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Are you sure it's not just fret buzz from your bass. 12th and 13th frets are notorious for it.

Otherwise, do what Greybeard says and take it back.

4. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    it's definately not fret buzz. it's the speakers. i talked to the dealer, and they said that because of the price he gave me on it, that there's not alot he can do at the store, so he told me to call the ampeg service dept. i'm gonna give that a shot next. my peavey 8x10 handled half the power and never did this. i figured the ampeg would be a total powerhouse.

5. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Ampeg, especially the 8x10 is a mega powerhouse, you said that he gave you a discounted price?? I'd think that is why it is doing that, they probably knew that, so they gave you a discount... Good luck man...

6. Mine does not do that. And it's 30 years old.

Have it checked out. Good luck.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm not really sure but could it be that the Ampeg Cab handles certian frequencies differently than the Peavey? Maybe you need to play around with how you EQ your head.

8. I had one speaker in my 1978 SVT 810 do that and it was the voice coil that was gone so I had to replace that speaker(So now they will all start dying one by one). I have also owned two of the newer 810's and never had that problem. Take it back.