Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg problems seeking help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jordane818, Feb 28, 2005.

1. jordane818

jordane818

Jan 17, 2005
    i run an ampeg svt350h head thru ampeg bse410hlf cab and im having much trouble. the head can push out 350 watts while the cab handles 400 and i cant even turn my head up half way without it clipping and the head clicks off for a couple of seconds, then back on again. i then believed it was becuz of the limiter on the head, but with that switched off as well i found trouble in the same area. now i thought that with the cab handling higher than the head, blowing out my speakers shudnt be a problem with the volume half way up, but it continues to be one. i am left to keeping the volume very low as to self-practice level volume but does not help for playing with a band. also, wen this problem does not occur, which isnt often, wen i play for an extended amount of time with the volume about half way up, everything eventually crumbles on me, as everything will sound very disturbingly distorted and my cab will start buzzing and make bubbly-like noises. its probably a long shot, but can anyone please help with some advice, as i cannot go on with this any longer.

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'm no pro, but if your head is shutting down under those circumstances you probably have a components problem. Possibly a cooling issue, or maybe something more. Someone on these forums will have some more light to shine on this one.... there's a lot of elderly bassist wisdom existant on talkbass :cool:

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    It isn't clear exactly what you are describing here.....but if the unit "clicks off" the output relay is opening.

There are two things that will cause that relay to open.

1) any DC on the amp output (which could damage speakers)

2) The amp heating up too much.

#1 (DC on output) could be caused either a fault in the amplifier, or very severe clipping, which may cause DC on the output.

#2 could be caused by the cooling fan not operating, or being clogged up with dust. It could also be caused by a short or partial short in the cable or a speaker problem.

Usually, heating up will cause it to be "off" for longer than a couple of seconds. Usually it is at least 10 seconds or longer. So I don't think it is overheating.

You can easily check to see if the fan is moving air. As the amp heats up, the fan should increase speed slowly.

It sounds like you are saying you blew a speaker, but I don't think that is what you mean....if you did, did you get it fixed?

I am not sure what the "bubbly noises" could be. It almost sounds like there might be a speaker problem, which may be causing everything else. But I can't be sure.

The amp and speaker combination should get pretty loud. If it isn't loud, there is obviously some problem.

Have you tried the amp with a different speaker? or the speaker with a different amp? Are the cables known to be good?

(edit) Another question....does the limit LED next to the limiter on/off switch light up? That would be if you have the limiter tirned on.

Can you take it to a repair shop and have the system looked at?

If you do, be sure to take the cables etc, and demonstrate the problem if possible. They should be able to determine what part of the setup is causing the problem.

4. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    Dunno if it's the same issue, but recently my Ampeg SVT-4 would shut off after 30 mins of use...turn back on for 10 seconds, turn off again and then repeat.

I took it to the shop and the guy told me it was a bad solder (sp?). It was under warranty, so no charge. Best of luck.