1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg question: B-series cabs + SVT head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 3toes, Apr 30, 2009.

1. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    In the somewhat near future I'm going to be upgrading my rig from my late 90s B2R to an SVT 2-pro. I'm actually going to have to finance it from GC or something, because every time I try to save up for it something comes up to eat up my funds. So I'm just going to put like 500-600 down and finance it for a year.

Anyway... I won't be able to upgrade my cabinets for quite some time; a BSE410H and BSE115. Each rated at 200w RMS, 8ohms. Will I be tempting fate by running the 2-pro into these cabs?

I think I asked Dino at Ampeg about this once and he hinted that it is doable, just not ideal. And that I'd have to be careful not to drive the 2-pro too much.

Thoughts?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Correct, it should be fine, just not optimal. Use your ears, when the cabs have had enough, back off.

3. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Yeah, that's what I figured, just wanted to get more than one opinion on it. That's part of the reason I chose the SVT-2pro over the VR. More control over the gain and the drive.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think you'll be fine, but just don't slam your amp as loud and as bassy as it can go. And don't use it with only one cab.

I hear you on the separate gain/master. If you're into distorted/grindy tube sounds, the 2 Pro or CL is great because you can grind it at lower volumes. Not a problem for me, though...I have a VT Bass pedal to go with my vintage SVT ;)

5. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Shouldn't be a problem, but I bet you could pick up an SVT 410HE for cheap money later on.

6. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Oh yeah, I know I can't hook it into just one of those cabs.

I have a VT Bass as well, so I was planning on essentially using that as a "channel" now. Set the 2 Pro's EQ to my normal settings (moderately clean/warm), and set the VT Bass to something a bit raunchier for when I need it, without pushing the amp so hard that it damages my speakers.

Oh yeah, eventually I'm gonna switch to SVT cabs. I love the 410+115 setup though. If only Ampeg still made the 1540 cabinet, then I wouldn't have to lug around two separate cabs :(

7. dbull

dbull

Feb 26, 2009
    North Carolina
    I'd be careful, especially with the 115. If size is not an issue (in the musical sense), why not sell them both and look at a used 8x10 svt. Those are really cheap used, because not a lot of people want such a big cab sitting around. Also, I think that they might actually move more air and give you more lower end than the 115.

8. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    For the time being (read, immediate forseeable future), size is an issue. The 2 Pro + (410+115) would become my gigging rig. And my old B2R + 115 would be my practice or small-gig rig.

And according to Ampeg the 115 has a usable low frequency down to 35hz. But maybe I'm thinking about that in the wrong terms... But anyway, yeah, at the moment, it'd be impractical for me to get rid of the individual cabs. Haha, so the 1540 would be a moot point as well.

edit: Granted I could probably eventually sell one of the cabinets (probably the 410 at that point, keeping the 115 for practice and small shows) to put towards an 810. But again, that'll take some time to drum up the funds.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, that's what I do too. But I do it to keep from damaging my paycheck ;)

10. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    The Tech 21 VT Bass: Keeping bass players from selling their blood to afford SVTs since 2008.