Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg question???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Irie01, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    I have recently bought a 90's svt 3 pro and am using a ampeg 6-10" cab. I was wondering what anyone thought about a switch from the svt 3 to the b2r.I can get a brand new b2 for almost 300 bucks cheaper than the svt3 I just bought.What are your opinions or experience of these two heads?I know that the svt3 runs 450 watts at 4ohms and the b2r runs 350 at 4ohms,In a guitar center I played the b2 through the 6-10" cab and almost thought that it had more power than the svt3.Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. Do a search on this forum... this has been talked about many many times before.

The SVT-3 Pro has got a 5 tube preamp whereas the B2R has no tubes in it. There's your price difference ;)

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    My very personal opinion is that either SVT3-PRO or B2-R heads are way underpowered for a cab such as SVT-610HLF.

I believe SVT4-PRO or B4-R heads would be more appropriate. When the head delivers twice the continuous power the cab can run, you prevent from clipping (since you'll never need to overrun the amp) and simultaneously you get the best out of the head/cab combination.

Just my personal opinion, though.

Cheers,
    JL

4. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    I like your taste in amplification. Congrats. Sounds like your wanting to get a few bucks back by changing heads. Well, either head will sound awesome through the 6x10. I would keep the Pro unless you need the cash difference. As far as wattage differences, remember that it takes 10 times the wattage to double a target volume level. So, don't let the wattage make your decision for you. My solid state 350 watts tears my house up and makes my neighbors hate me.

5. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I had buyers remorse as soon as I bought my B2R. It was not a very loud amp for the wattage. I returned to the dealer for an SVT3 pro. It was a lot more money but well worth it as it sounds amazing and has power to spare.

I would not enjoy going back to a B2R and I don't think you would either.

6. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I would suggest a pre/power setup.

7. Big difference in sound, though, with the B2R. Tubes vs no tubes, which makes a huge difference especially at high volumes. I've played both and the B2R sounds very good, but I don't think it really captures the warmth of the SVT. Might as well stick with what you've got.