1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Laserman, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Hi,

What's the diffrence between the Ampeg Reissue 300 Watt tube head and the black classic 300 Watt tube Head? Is one better than the other for specific applications? I believe I'm gonna get one soon but I want the right one for Hard rock. Currently I'm using a Peavey American Millenium Actice Bass and a cheaper Passive Ibanez with Duncan Bass lines Jazz and p style upgraded pickups.

Barry:cool:

2. Get both!

3. i havent played the reissue but ive played the classic

it seems that generally from what ive gathered from other people.... is that the reissue is much better. the classic is not as loud, and does not have as similar a sound to the old SVT as the reissue does.. which has the exact circuitry of a vintage SVT...

the reissue is more expensive but ive heard most people saying that it really is a better amp.

that being said. i do NOT like the SVT classic. I find it should have more volume for a head of that magnitude.. and while the tone is GOOD, i do not find it awe inspiring in any way... Not worth the price to me..

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    i had the classic, its good, but it doesn't quite nail that vintage sound. i picked up a 70s V4 over the summer and liked the tone on that head a thousand times more so i sold the classic. if youre going to get either the CL or the VR my vote is VR.

5. Thanks Guys,

That was about what I expecting to hear. On the Reissue there's 4 inputs and two channels. Can You run both channles together by patching the #2 and #3 together liake you can do With Marshall Plexi guitar amps?

Barry:bassist:

6. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    No it doesn't. Vintage SVT's don't have a preamp full of 12AX7's.

7. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    And reissue VRs don't have all 12AX7s either.............. Don't be starting more "internet legends".....

There IS a difference in "arrangement"....... the 12DW7 is half a 12AX7 and half a 12AU7... so instead of requiring the rather special 12DW7, which has had availability problems, the same function is split between half a 12AX7 and half a 12AU7. Same gain and function, different arrangement of tubes.

Oh. yeah, that 6C4 follower tube is a half a 12AU7 in the VR. That one stupid tube caused the most problems with the old so-called "skunkworks" units...... they were virtually ALL noisy.... except for a certain type we found and basically bought all of. Don't be sorry to see the last of THAT tube......

8. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Give them both a listen. I currently own the CL, and just finished demoing the VR. In some situations, I found that I preferred the tone of the VR, but in others, I liked the CL better. For me, it was really a toss up, so I stayed with my CL. I have not noticed any lack of volume with the CL, and while I found the low end of the VR to be a bit more focused, I certainly lack nothing in that department with the CL.

9. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    While that's true, "exact" means "exact" to me. And of course, the 12BH7 driver tubes are long gone, too, so while you can make a case for this wiring scheme being technically exact with half a 12ax7 and half a 12au7 replacing a 12dw7, you can't do it with 12au7's replacing the 12bh7's, so it's a bit of bad form for Ampeg to be calling it an exact reissue.

10. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    they don't exactly say its exact:

"The preamp stage, power section, and even rocker switches emulate the exact signal path, tone, and vibe of the original rock ’n’ roll workhorse."

its the subtleties that marketing plays on.

11. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    You know Corey, I guess it shouldn't bother me as much as it does, since every guitar company makes "reissues" that have zip in common with the old guitars and basses. But it does bother me, and it always has with everything that's been reissued, and I'd like to see a little more honesty with reissues.

12. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    thats the problem, its almost always impossible to re-capture the magic.

13. I have a bigger problem with the protection relays than the tube selection. (As I'm sure all the players whose 'protection' circuitry won't let their amps work do too. ;) ) Since the VR uses the same filament transformer as the original, you can sub 12BH7's in place of the 12AU7 driver tubes with no problems or mods. BTW, 12BH7's are fairly common and good quality, especially compared to 12DW7's.

14. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Says who?

So unplug the one and plug in the other, if you think you need to.........

The 12BH7 is virtually identical, and the one characteristic that is definitely different, ultimate current capability, is not and cannot be used in the SVT power stage, due to the 47K grid resistors.

But since you can swap the 12bh7 in, there is no reason to get your knickers in a twist over it.....

The main reason for the "emulates" as far as the power amp is that unlike the "so-called skunkworks", the actual layout of the power amp is not the same. The circuitry is the same schematically.

The preamp uses the 12AX7/12AU7 instead of the 12DW7, and does NOT use the troublesome 6C4, so it isn't "identical" either.
    The "protection relay" is not a protection relay at all. It is only a time-delay relay for the standby. I actually don't really know why that was used..... I'd have left it out.

It isn't necessary (and serves no "protection" function) and essentially it's only function is to give the inevitable nay-sayers a foothold. Let's them claim its just an SVT-CL in new clothes..... which isn't true....

Whatever is going on with units that don't turn on right or go off at low mains voltages, I don't know. Presumably some problem, possibly with a part substitution done at the asian factory, maybe a design problem with a resistor value. Just another reason to have left it out, in my opinion.

If you don't like it, don't buy one, I guess...... But the item as a whole is essentially the same as a vintage 6550 SVT... certainly the closest you will ever get in a new unit.

There will NOT be any more of them, at least not ones with output transformers from the ORIGINAL maker..... They don't exist anymore.

15. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    VR. </thread>

16. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I guess I got schooled...that's OK though, I learned something I never knew. SVT's over the years have all sounded consistent to me, now I have a better idea why.

17. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Reviving an old thread again.. (shows I use the search feature before posting.. :p)

I have the skunkworks version of the SVT. After reading this, I'm curious what would be the best (quite) 6c4 tube I should use? When I first got it, it had a JAN Philips 6c4wa (military grade with the thicker mica plates), but in restoring phase now I picked up an Azdma (Mazda, Made by Muller) 6C4WA / EC90/ M8080, which has longer plates than the JAN philips. The amp is being restored now, so I haven't had a chance to test. Do longer plates = quieter operation for this tube?

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i'll let you know if i ever find one that isn't microphonic. i finally gave up on trying to find one that isn't.

19. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Jimmy, are you tapping the tubes to check for microphonics, or is the "noise" on these (6c4) just there all the time?

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i was tapping. when it's on and not playing anything, i hear no noise from it. i wouldn't worry about it, really. the amp works and sounds great regardless.