Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kboyd, Nov 27, 2002.

1. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Ok, I have read old threads about the B2R and the SVT3Pro. I have played both and I like both of them equally. Only problem is where I am testing them(small cab filled room), I can't really tell much difference in power and unless I spend a couple of hours tweeking the knobs, just a little bit of sound difference. So, I can get the demo SVT3 for 700 or the B2R for 500. I am playing thru the Portabass 2x12 cab.
    Any clues as to the reliability of either, and just how much maintenance is required with a tube preamp?(only owned ss amps before). I am all about reliability and I can get a good sound out of either. Any input?
    Another canoworms eh?

2. I own and like my SVT-3 pro, but I think it is a little over priced and a little under powered. The B2R is probably just as loud, and you can get a good sound out of it. The tone from my 3pro is great, but I just wished it had a little bit more power.

jtbp

3. I have owned both. I had an SVT3 Pro and currently use a B2 combo (4 X 8"). I could never get the sound or volume I wanted from the SVT 3 but it was very dependable. Preamp tubes will last a long, long time...years. I play the B2 combo now and I love it. I have an 15" extension cabinet for larger rooms where I'll need the full 350 watts. There are a couple of issues with the B2, however. I bought it used, actually, I traded the SVT3 head even up for the B2 combo. I have had to replace the on/off switch, the input jack and the tips to the two lowest frequency graphic EQ sliders. The on/off switch and input jack are mechanical items and they wear out. They are cheap and easy fixes. The graphic sliders work but I know this is a widespread problem; probably a design flaw. Still, it gives me what I want and need.

4. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    thanks for the replies. I am leaning towards the B2R not only for the issues you guys have brought forth but for the warranty and I feel if I want that tube sound, I have a couple of pedals to help. Will let you know.

5. Good luck. You should be happy with the B2R.

jtbp

6. kboyd,

I just bought an Ibanez Tube King drive unit. It has an tube in it and sounds great (for me anyway...). Read my last post on my thread 'Ibanez Tube King' under effects for more comments...

7. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Thanks everybody, I feel much better, and will check out the Ibanez. Man I love this forum!!!