Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FenderBassist, Oct 28, 2005.

1. FenderBassist

FenderBassist In the land of drummers, the bass player is king.

Oct 28, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    Hello all,

Would very much appreciate some advice.

I play custom made Fendery style precisions and jazz basses (alder/ash, fretted, rosewood fingerboards). Seymour Duncan QP's in some, Antiquity's and Vintage's soon to be installed in others.

Going to upgrade my primary amp. I've been using a reliable old Peavy Mark IV and a GK 4x10 (no horn) 8 ohm cab for my club gigs. Both are in perfect shape, even at only 100 watts it's been fine for the bar gigs I've had. Working on getting to larger rooms and/or outdoor venues with some projects I'm in.

I'm set on getting an Ampeg rig. Are the solid state heads (MOSFET) any good in your opinion(s) regarding reliability and sound quality? I'm trying to avoid a heavy head if possible but will get tube if it's really the best way to go.

The ampeg website info, is it correct or not? I've seen many comments about it being wrong (in various forums) and am trying to match power and impedence regarding heads and cabinets

What do you think of:

SVT-450H and 410HLF

SVT-CL and (suggestions?)

SVT-3 Pro and (suggestions?)

I'm moving this gear in a 4 cylinder hatchback, so an 8x10 probably won't fit (though two 4x10's could, I think).

Any opinions/advice/comments would be appreciated.

Best regards,
    Scott

2. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005

Well, in general, modern Ampeg stuff is sub-par, IMHO.
    Tube, old, or another brand.
    Also, what kind of car do you have? You would be surprised where I have fit an 8x10.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    If you like the Ampeg sound, go for it. The SVT410HLF is a good choice for a cabinet, if you like the sound you get out of it. They have good lows, without being too muddy. They also seem to cut through on a busy stage quite well.

As to a head, it all depends on what you are after. If you don't mind the weight, and want an all tube head, go with either the CL or an SVT II Pro. If you want a tube pre/solid state amp head, the SVT3 Pro is pretty decent, but some say it is a bit underpowered. The new SVT6 Pro sounds like a pretty cool head--I have tried one out very briefly in my local store, but not enough to have much to say about it. I use an SVT 4 Pro, and have had great luck with it. I can dial in pretty much any tone I want with it (but it still has it's own characteristic sound it adds to it ;) ), and has been super reliable. And it has all the power I would ever need.

Try to get to a store and try some out, if you can. They are all different animals in their own way, but they all sound like Ampegs, it just depends on what degree of Ampeg you are looking for. (if that makes any sense :confused: )

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Personally I think the only modern Ampeg heads worth going for -besides the fliptop, but thats a combo- are the all tube ones. I do not like the SS/Hybrid stuff.