1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ampeg questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by catrunes, Aug 26, 2007.

1. hey im debating between three heads right now all ampeg: the svt classic, svt 2pro and the svt 3pro. i was just wnderin with the all tube ones how often would i have to servoce them an replace the tubes. i play in three bands an gig with 2 of them regularly and i need a better head to put on top of me 810 classic. thanks

2. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    imo the svt3 isn't a match for the tube ones. It doesn't play as loud and it's not as fat.
    If you gig a couple times every week with rehearsels several times a week and you play loud, new tubes maybe every 2 years. Some would say 1 year and others have had the same set of tubes in for decades.

3. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    From what I've been told, tubes only need to be replaced every 5 years or so, if that. But as always, I could be horrendously wrong!!! :p My SVT-3PRO will be arriving at my door tomorrow, if you like, I can PM you with my thoughts on it. :)

4. Tube amps generally need a little TLC every now and then - especially if they've been in storage for long periods.
    I wouldn't even think about the 3pro, you may regret that one.

Unless you regularly play your tube amp really hard and hot - you may never need to replace your driver/power tubes - unless of course you drop it.;)
    There will be people here who argue the point - but if the tubes don't give up the ghost - I don't see the point in replacing them

5. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Yeah, it kind of depends on your style of playing and how you care for the amp. On average, tubes should last AT LEAST more than a year or two...if not, something is wrong. (I'm sure someone on here will dispute me saying they get 2 months outta their tubes:rolleyes: ) I've heard of amps having 20 year old tubes that still work great. I've owned a Mesa 400+ for about 6 years and it went on full USA tours 4 times...I only retubed it one time when I cracked a tube by dropping it:crying: . And Now I've had an SVT-CL for about a year with no tube issues (after I got the biasing corrected).

I wouldn't base a decision about getting or not getting a tube amp on "how long tubes last", but more importantly, do you like the tube sound? Are you ok with how much the amp weighs? Does it fulfill your power requirements?

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Preamp tubes.......... you should get years out of them, maybe 10+ depending, certainly 5+.

Power tubes.... replace when the amp starts to sound "soft" to you. Should be several years, unless you really play full at volume for hours every day.

IGNORE what the Ampeg manuals say about replacement time.

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    If I was looking to buy an SVT again, I'd be looking for a really nice
    older 70s model, SVT-II (non pro) or a first production run SVT-VR.

8. Amokoma

Amokoma

Feb 4, 2007
    Norway
    I suggest you choose one of the all-tube ones. I used to own a SVT-3 Pro and I found it somewhat lacking in the phatty-growl department. I'd probably go for the SVT-2 Pro, since it's got more tonal options. But you can't go wrong with either IMO. For tube longevity I recommend you let the tubes heat up in standby-mode for about 5 minutes before you start pounding (or slapping, picking, whatever), and let them chill in standby for 5 minutes after you're done. The point is to ease the tubes on and off. They don't respond well to stress.

9. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    The simple answer to this is play them all and choose the one that sounds best for you.......