Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pharmecopia, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    :confused: I was told by my buddy Gard that an 8 x 10 cab would not be good for my bass, a Warwick Thumb 5. I was told that Eden makes good cabs, but I was looking at Ampeg. Specifically making a stack out of an Ampeg BSE410H on top, and a BSE-115T on bottom. Do you think this would be a decent set up? Also, what does a compression pedal do? Thanks.

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im not sure what style music you play, but I agree with Gard that the natrual low end of Eden cabs would be a good partner for your Warwick. Ampegs are nice, but they dont have that low end power you get with Eden.

The compression question belongs in Effects.

Peace
    Nick

3. RuriK101

RuriK101

Feb 25, 2002
    the bassist from a good local band gets an incredible tone from a Warwick Thumb and an all Ampeg system, including a 8x10.

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    It really depends on the sound you're after, no? I've seen plenty of 5 stringers using old Ampeg 810's to good effect. Not everyone wants to sound like Munji.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I have an ampeg BXT 410 and I get huge low end from it.. of course I don't play on warwicks so I can't tell you how it sounds really through my setup.... I like eden also... and I would have bought a 410 cab... but the BXT does something to me..

I've never heard what munji sounded like...

6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    He sounds like Eden.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    For a good idea of what a warwick through Eden sounds like, check out the bass on Incubus recordings.

Im not a big fan of Incubus, but the bass tone is pretty sweet. Eden has a tone with huge round bottom, so flab, and you'll never hear it fart in the low B. The G-string is great on it too.

Peace
    Nick

8. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Poppycock, Balderdash, and all that rot! Your Warwick ( or any bass) will sound fine through Ampeg stuff. I run an 8x10 bottom ( SVT classic) and get plenty of low end. Granted you DO sacrifice a bit when you go all tens. If you did a 15 and a 4x10 you could get plenty of lows mids and highs. Cabs DO make a dif, but I'd be more concerned about your head than your cabs.

My two cents, for what it's worth:)

9. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Oh, and BTW, even if it IS an effects question, here's what a compression pedal does

1. It makes a great doorstop
    2. Paperweight
    3. It's perfect for drunks to spill beer on if it's too close too the edge of the stage.
    4. Eats batteries
    5. Kills your tone.

Leave compression to a good rack unit. Lots more info on that in effects:D

10. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I'm going to agree with the others here. Ampeg cabinets are good and while they may not be quite as loud as the Eden cabs, they generally cost less too. I also agree about the compression pedal - most of them aren't that good, although I do believe there are some pretty high end ones out now.

11. I like low-end, I like mids, I like highs, and I like Ampeg. Maybe it's just what we've been conditioned to think of when we hear bass, but it just sounds "right" to me. I tried, oh I tried, to like Eden, and remember I like a nice round low end. But it was so low that it was muddy and undefined, blurry, no matter my eq settings.

I think it must matter alot which bass you're using. My Cirrus 5, which is warm-sounding, was just too warm and muddy through Eden, and sounds just incredible through Ampeg. Interestingly, though it had all that low end, the Eden rig I had couldn't handle the low B well at all, and farted terribly; yes, with the eq set flat on the amp and bass.

Take your time in getting your gear. It's very nice to finally get the gear that gets you "your sound" and not have to fiddle with things any more. And I rather enjoy fiddling, but now I fiddle and it only confirms that I have the right gear for me.