Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg/rbi/pickup question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Mar 9, 2003.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    okay...so for awhile i've been contemplating selling my svp pro for an rbi. i've been comparing my svp to my bddi. at first i didn't think it was a fair comparison becuase the svp needed new tubes. now it has them, and i still don't know if its a fair comparison because the bddi doesn't push my power amp to its full power, and it doesn't have the mid control like the rbi does. so at practice the other day i said i was set on keeping the ampeg. but now i'm thinking again. if i could, i'd have either an old svt, or a mesa 400+. but it's just not practical for me to have a total tube amp right now. the rbi seems to have a bigger/"fatter" bottom end than the ampeg, and seems to sound alittle more "modern". but the ampeg sounds so good too.

so i'm starting to think that maybe instead of getting rid of my ampeg for an rbi, i'll just put new pickups in my mia jazz. more than likely, i'll get dimarzio ultra jazz pickups. i just want to be able to get a huge, balanced, tone.

for the music we're playing, think along the lines of these bands: hot snakes, drive like jehu, helmet, the melvins (i love mark d's tone).

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Why not get the RBI and a small inexpensive mixer (Behringers are low cost and sound great) and use them both (Ampeg and RBI)?

I recently added a mixer to my rig (MX1604) and it's really fun.

Actually, you could keep your BDDI and get a mixer and do the same thing...if you can live without mid control (but the mixer has that too or you could run an EQ in the effects loop).

Have fun!

3. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    see...i don't really want all that. i just want to plug in and go. i don't know...i have some more comparing to do at practice today.