Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg replacement casters?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jgrotto, Feb 16, 2006.

1. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    Anyone know where to get a pair of replacement casters for an SVT810? One of mine has been rendered useless and as much as I loooove to carry around 165 lb. bass cabinets, the tone is just not the same. ;)

2. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    I wouldn't worry too much about getting a direct replacement, the stock ampeg casters are kinda whimpy. I used these

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/mesa/42tracremcas.html

on one of my cabs and they are rock solid. I would definitely poke around the industrial sites and you may find a better price, though.

3. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
  4. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    I didn't worry about the screw holes on mine. But, if you want to preserve yours intact, use your existing holes to attach small plywood blanks the size of your new casters. It might add a little height, but you won't mess up the original mounting spots.

5. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    Eh. I'm not too worried about preservation. Thanks for the help!

6. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Ampeg casters were not made for serious transportation over any reasonable period of time. I've had to replace the casters on both my 410 and my 115 (SVT Classics). I haven't worried about hole alignment, have had to resort to plywood mounts because the screws pull out of the wood regardless. I love the sound and wish that I had invested in anvil cases early on because the exteriors of my cabs are getting thrashed.

As long as Im sharing, the wood frame on my 410 broke and plops off every time I move it. I'm surprised more people don't complain for such a popular cab. The exterior design leaves something to be desired. Naturally, I have lots of tolex tears after consistent gigging.

7. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Just be aware that for an 810, the height of the casters need to be the same as thr original. If the new ones are taller, the cab will lean forward, and if they're shorter, it'll lean back.

8. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    My local hardware store has a large assortment of casters. but to save on travel expenses, its probably easier for you to just check YOUR local hardware store :)

Or contact Ampeg directly

Ampeg, Crate Audio & Crate Parts / Service
    1-800-738-SLME(7563) Factory direct phone number

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I actually put larger back wheels on my Ampeg 1832 Extreme, and that allowed me to put some short front wheels on too, to bring it level and make it easier yet to deal with.

10. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    JGROTTO

i just sent you a PM

11. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    I'd like to find a set of the removable casters for one of my ampeg cabs when it's not stacked, are they any place to buy them besides ampeg directly?

What do you guys do if you stack your cabs (the ones putting screw in casters)?

12. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    1. companies like Ernie Ball sell stuff like that. I'm sure others do as well. Check your local music store

2. I turn my cab on its side, problem solved.

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    And all those companies get them from the same sources hardware stores and industrial places do... Well, maybe the frequency response and power handling is somehow better if it comes from Ernie Ball or Ampeg ; }

14. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    here's an awesome trick:
    use two sets of skateboard trucks/wheels.
    they will last and last,
    and you can much more easily turn the cab
    in different directions.
    i have a friend who did this to his 8x10 years ago
    and it has worked perfectly ever since.
    cheers
    doug

Alec Mekelburg likes this.
  15. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    oooooh I like that truck idea! If I was playing as often as I used too, it would make riding the cab down hills something fun to do to pass time when you're endlessly waiting around to play (that was my biggest gripe about playing shows - all the downtime).

But seriously - jgrotto, I have a link on my computer at home to a place that sells individual casters and all kinds of other hardware. I actually got the link from a post here on TB, but I don't remember which post it was. I'll try to post back on here tonight with that link. I might order a spare caster myself for a cab i have with 1 missing. I have used the Ernie Ball caster set on a few cabs, but you cannot buy replacement parts for them - just complete sets.

16. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
  17. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    Damn. That's genius. And expensive, but still... I know some folks that HAVE to have spares they can toss my way when my new set breaks in a few mos./years.

18. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    Has anyone found a direct bolt for bolt Heavy Duty replacement casters for their recent Ampeg 810e? I dig the Skateboard idea. I saw that years ago and had forgotten about that.

19. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    I checked out a couple of places looking for casters and no luck yet. I found what looks to be exactly what is on there now. I don't want to bring a bag of wheels along and change them every other gig, kind of like rotating your tires. If nobody has found a direct replacement or is unwilling to share such great information, I may have a go with the skate board trucks. Any help would be appreciated.

20. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    I called Ampeg and their part number for their 3 inch casters is 51-961-01 and they're $13.62 each (nice people by the way). Not too bad but I still would like to find a more heavy duty replacement. Unfortunately I left my 810 at my vocalists and will not have access to it untill the next gig. If anyone has a free moment and a 810e sitting around, could you measure the 4 bolt centers and the axle center to caster mounting plate. Thank you for your time.