Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg replacement speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eric9353, Jul 29, 2002.

1. eric9353

eric9353

Jul 29, 2002
    Washington, D.C.
    I've been playing an Ampeg Pro-II head with an Ampeg SVT 4X10 HE (Classic) for about 4 years now. Of course this poses the problem of sending 400 Watts at 4 ohms into a cabinet rated for 200 Watts at 8 ohms. I generally ripped a speaker cone per year (avg. 100 shows/year + 3 practices/week when not on tour). But recently I ripped 3 speakers on a 6 week tour. Nothing else in the rig has changed.

My questions are:
    1) If I want to replace all 4 speakers with some of Ampeg's 16 ohm / 150 watt speakers (making the cab 4 ohm / 600 W), will the voicing be ok for my old SVT Classic 4X10? Can the cabinet handle the new weight/power?

2) If I stick with the the speakers I have now (32 ohm), is there anything I can do to not run through speaker cones as frequently (because honestly, pushing the speakers past what they should do sounds pretty nice).

thanks,

Eric

2. Honestly, I'd contact the people at Orange County Speaker Repair and pose your problem to the good folks there. Nobody knows more about speakers than these guys. They can hotrod most makes and even change the impedance if you want. A complete overhaul of your present drivers will probably cost only a fraction of what new drivers will.
    http://www.speakerrepair.com/