1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg Rig Advice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gddwhite, Aug 27, 2012.

1. gddwhite

gddwhite

Aug 27, 2012
    Florida
    Okay, so, long story short, my current rig consists of a Hartke Hydrive 410 and 115 with a Hartke LH1000 head (I play a Spector Legend 6 string bass). I've been planning on switching the 115 for another 410...but I've fallen in love with the Ampeg SVT 410 HLF. Here's where the issue starts. I could probably get away with it (cost-wise) to sell my 115 and buy the Ampeg 410, which was around 7 or 800 dollars if I remember correctly. However, while looking around at a local music store, there was an Ampeg SVT 610 HLF, but in order to buy this, I would have to sell both my Hartke 410 and 115. What are your opinions on what I should do? I'm personally leaning towards the idea of only selling the 115...but I'd like some other opinions.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well, you couldn't use the 610 with any other cab, so what do you want to do? Have one cab for everything, or different set ups for different scenario's?

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Your in florida, buy used (even on TB classifieds) you can find an Ampeg 410 for 3-400 all day long.

4. gddwhite

gddwhite

Aug 27, 2012
    Florida
    That's probably what I'll end up doing. I'll eventually just switch out both cabs for Ampeg 410s.

Any ideas how the mix between the Hydrive 410 and the Ampeg one will sound though?

5. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Not very good, IME. Their personalities are completely different, and they don't play well together.

6. gddwhite

gddwhite

Aug 27, 2012
    Florida
    Dang...that's far from encouraging haha. In retrospect, I should've gone for the Ampeg gear to start with. Might I ask what you would do then?

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars

I would skip the Ampeg all together, sell the 115 and find another Hydrive 410, or sell the 410 and get another Hydrive 115. I doubt there is much difference in quality between the Ampeg and Hartke, I have heard nothing but good things about the Hydrive stuff. I'm not saying its better than the Ampeg, but you already have 1/2 of a really good stack.

8. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    I would do this. I own and love Ampeg gear, but if you like the Hartke sound, stay with it, it's much better built. Two identical cabs will almost always sound and perform better, and this is the less expensive route. The odds are that the Ampeg cab is pulling you because it's a new sound, not necessarily because it's one you like better. Changing brands like that (assuming you've been playing the Hartke for a while) is often an exercise in misery as you try to find "your" sound in the new gear, only to realize that it was in the old gear all along.

If you're really loving the Ampeg cab, though, I'd do whatever I had to do to get two of the Ampeg 410s that you love.

9. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Try playing Ampeg 410 HLF in a band. All your love for it might go away, I know mine did. It sounds great alone, but it's scooped and bass heavy. It's my least favorite cab of the ones I played through. It's not for everyone for sure.

10. gddwhite

gddwhite

Aug 27, 2012
    Florida
    Thanks for the advice, guys. It's much appreciated. I think I'll just try to sell the 115 and get another Hartke 410.