1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ampeg rig help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 0175westwood29, Oct 5, 2009.

1. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    well some of this will sound silly but im gonna say it anyway

im currently in a three piece, which will increase to a four once we find a replacement guitarist.

im using as my sig states a ampeg svt pro-6 thru an 610hlf ampeg cab.

my problem is that im struggling to find the cutting tone im after, ive had a bit of a play with the eq, and im struggling to get a sound that i want! i dnt use to many effects that muck up the signal.

the problem is that my e string seems to just sound really flabby and loose! even tho i play in regular tuning? i use a bit of compression but this if anything made it worse!

can anyone who has a pro 6 help? or at least point me in the right direction?

i know this is quite a stupid thing to ask!

andy

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think it's the cab.

3. jose manguera

jose manguera

Oct 5, 2009
    Try cranking up the midrange and taking down the bass.

4. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    +1 Keep that bass down.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I play a 6Pro. The eq is very powerful, so if you bump much, especially lows, you'll get too much. Especially with that cab. Run it dead flat, everything at noon, boosts off. Then, dial in some mids, from 300 to 850 Hz, using the semi-parametric mid controls. See if that does it. My cab of choice with the 6Pro is a big ol' honkin' Mesa 2x15, and I get great tone, cutting power, and all up against 2 guitars, drums and keys. I know it's not the amp. Good luck.

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I agree - IME, that cab is easy to push too much low through...

- georgestrings

7. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Its the cab man. I have a 610HLF and went to a different cab. The 610 just did not provide me with the sound I wanted. Very boomy and did not have a definitive, punchy response. But mess with the eq to see if you can change the sound. Good luck though.

8. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    thanks man i'll try it on thurs! that was my plan to take everything back to flat and go from that.

andy

9. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Might be worth trying a different gauge of strings at some point, too just to see if there's much difference. Is the bridge saddle height for that E string okay compared with the others?

I don't have a rig much like yours, but I usually cut the bass control on my rack preamp down to around 10-11 o'clock when I'm turned up at a show. I still get plenty of low end from my passive Jazz and pair of 2x10's. Noodle with that eq the next time you're turned up and make no assumptions as to what will help or hinder. You may still get a great fundamental with a little of the lows reined in.

10. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    indeed, im looking at in terms of good sound not what its set like.

hell if the bass is at 9 and the tone awesome thats were it will stay :bassist:

andy

11. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    omg! had a look at the booklet! did as diagram showed for ampeg rock tewwked it a little bit! and there it is, an awesome tone! that cuts thru! and also the bass to fatten out the sound!

why did i not just consult the book earlier! :rollno:

but now have a wicked sound! the master is at 10! tho on most of the recommendations! which spun me right out have my gain at about 9 o clock and its bloody loud!

andy

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, it's a really great amp, the best sounding of ALL the "pro-series" Ampegs, I think. A tone monster. Glad you got dialed in.

13. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    thanks man, was spinning me out tho! i was like no surely i cant put the master at 10! but it sounds awesome now! so clean yet dirty at the same time! if that makes sense!

14. midrangematti

midrangematti

May 28, 2009
    ive had the same problem with my svt 3 when it comes to the E string. its not your cab or your amp its more than likely your bass, what bass you got? it could also be your bass strings, change em often mate. soon as ya put a new E string on ya hear the difference!

15. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    my basses are a 08 modulus fb4 and a 98 pbass, both strung with dunlop ss rob Trujillo signature strings, love how they sound! also they were both done bout 2 months ago?

andy

16. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    right one more thing thats spinning me out.

theres a slight hiss/hum from the cab all the time? its really quiet, but stops when the master volume is turned down past 12 o clock? what can this be?

andy

17. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    that is completely normal. its just hiss (circuit noise) coming thru the tweeter in your cab.

18. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    wicked thanks man!:)

andy