1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ampeg rig power capacity concern

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CJsonic, Apr 7, 2006.

1. hello everyone,
    i just purchased an svt-4 pro bass head for my ampeg 8x10e cab. my concern is if the cab with a nominal impedance of 4ohms and a program handling of 1600 watts will be okay with the svt 4 pro mono-bridged at 4ohms and 1600 watts. i know its going to get hot...i just dont want to wreck anything since i'm right at the maximum capacity.

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    You a little confused as to what all the ratings mean. The 4 pro is rated (i think) 1200 watts bridged at 4 ohms, but its not ALWAYS putting out that much power. if the volume is on zero, its not putting out any power. As you turn up the volume, it puts out more wattage. The cab can handle 800 watts RMS and that is the rating you really need to look at. 1600 watts is the peak power the cab can handle, not the continuos power. Just because you connect a cab rated @ 800 watts to the 4 pro does not mean it is automatically producing that much power.... that all depends on how much you turn up the volume. So if this makes sense so far, you should understand that you will blow the 810 cab if you pump the full power of the 4 pro into it & you would likely blow your ears out before that happened. But you arent going to wreck anything if you are careful with the volume and don't overload the cab with bass frequencies that are lower than its rated to handle.

3. ah i see, k so that was a retarded question haha
    i've always played out of a combo amp so i've never really dealt with this much power before...i guess i still have a lot of research to do. thanks for your help

4. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Well in that case, FYI theres a friggin' lot of different settings on a 4 pro. You might want to start a thread and ask some suggested starting points to dial in the amp. I'd offer you some, but I dont use that amp. One thing I can tell you is the 810 is not rated for sub harmonic lows, so if you are tuned real low be careful. If you push too much low end at high volume into the 810 it will sound like a machine gun and scare the crap out of you. But if you keep it within its limits you will be fine. its a big step up from a combo, best of luck with the new rig!

5. i play standard and drop c...is drop c too low?
    im really worried i'm gonna blow something up and lose money.
    this rig cost my an arm and a leg...it better not **** all over my sound when i try to keep up with my 2 loud guitarist and their stacks. i'm gonna read up on the manual tonight.

6. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    Don't stress out, theres nothing wrong with that setup, its a great match. But as with ANY gear, you need to work within its parameters. You said you are new to a big rig like this one & I am trying to give you some info about the setup. I have read far too many times about supposed "problems" other people had with their 4 pro/810E setup and 95% of the time the problem is due to user error. The 810 cab is not a subwoofer & its not built to make your pants flap from the lows. Don't scoop out all the mids and boost a ton of low end, thats all. Its a very versitile amp with a lot of different settings to choose from, but its possible to overpower the 810 with a 4 pro & its also possible to connect the 4 pro improperly so its not utilizing its full potential. Reading the manual is a good start to help avoid any mishaps. :) Just keep in mind this info when you start to use the amp & it will make more sense after you have used the amp for awhile. :bassist: