Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Rig Questions???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hotrod98Z, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Hotrod98Z

Hotrod98Z

Jul 27, 2004
    B-Town
    Hey i'm new to the forum and have a few questions i was hoping you guys could help me with. First off i play a thumb 5 in a metal band with two other guitar half stacks, so i need something loud/clean and capable of handling the low tuning. I played some ampeg stuff and i really like the sound of it and this is what i am leaning toward for my new stuff. I am considering either one of two combos, one 8x10 with a 2x15 or one 6x10 with a 1x18, first off what do you guys think would sound better, cut through better and also be able to produce the low notes the best. Secondly i need something to power this, i was thinking along the lines of the 4-pro or going with a power amp and preamp setup what do you think? Who's got the best power amps on the market right now? I would like to hear your guys thoughts on all this stuff.

2. atoni

atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
    I think that 8x10 (and optional 2x15 with it) sounds best. 6x10 doesn't have that kind of balls in it. For amp you should have 300w all tube SVT-CL, SVT2 or SVT2-pro.

3. Hotrod98Z

Hotrod98Z

Jul 27, 2004
    B-Town
    Do you guys think the SVT CL would power two cabs better than a 1200 watt plus SS amp?

4. atoni

atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
    We are talking about tube/valve wattage. A tube amp is able to keep up with a solid state amp twice (or maybe even more) it's wattage.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah, if you're really sold on the ampeg preamp/head sound, the svt classic or 2 pro is the way to go - they're loud allright
    and to be honest, if you go with the 810, you'll be fine, no 15s or 18s needed
    the 810 will cut thru like a knife and those big cabinets have enough lows for the 5 string
    i fyou want to go the seperate preamp/poweamp route stewart and the qsc plx series are the way to go as far as ss poweramps, and it seems that for ampeg, the SVT cl preamp is a pretty hot new deal these days

6. Hotrod98Z

Hotrod98Z

Jul 27, 2004
    B-Town
    I know the 8x10 is pretty loud by itself, but i'm not convinced that the 10's can handle the lowend i need without the help of some 15's, also the sight and sound of those two cabs would be bad as hell.

7. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Play that 810 next to the 215 and your covered for life!!! Allthough the 215 may be overkill! Ampeg SVT410HLF's sound like a 410 and 115 combined. Low, Low frequencies........ Check em' out...........
    I must say your wise man......

8. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    God damn 8x10 and a 2x15 is def the way to go.....if you have the money go for the 4pro those things kick major ass and have some major power..the SVTCL is bling too but if your in a metal band its about the power!! I know a lot of guys play the CL but in my honest opinion the 4PRO is a staple and just for note if your carrying around 2 Cabs would you rather have something that weighs 20lbs or 80lbs for an amp?

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah... itd probably be bad as hell to move them around from gig to gig as well. That's about 300lbs of speakers.

I've seen bands tuned to C and B play shows with the 8x10 with no PA support.... but I can see why you seek out the lower end.

Another option, if you wanted to broaden your horizons, would be the Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 1000. Four 10" speakers surrounding a 15".... 1000W RMS. That'd go over very well with an SVT4-Pro, and give you more range than an 8x10 probably. Plus, it's all in one cab.

Plus, you'd need an extra power source for another cabinet. It's doable, but its another 20-40lbs in your rack. It'd probably turn into a 2-man job hoisting it atop of your cabinet(s).

but... yeah, my suggestion is definately to just get one full(er)-range cabinet, if you want those super-lows.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm not an ampeg guy for the most part, but i've used the svt and 8x10 and have seen a lot of other dudes use it - extended range and all

tell me this..........count all the times you've seen a bass player (in a big act especially) use the venerable ampeg 8x10 or 2..................now find me 3 examples of where you saw any other ampeg speaker on a major stage............. ;)

11. Hotrod98Z

Hotrod98Z

Jul 27, 2004
    B-Town
    Honestly i'm not concerned about the weight, i have two cabs now that i have to move alot and it gets aggrivating but once you plug in and play its worth it. Basically i want this rig to last awhile for me, and do it right the first time thats why i'm thinking the two cabs, so with those two it could handle just about any gig you throw at em. I would like to hear some more opinions on the ss vs tube amps to power these things.

12. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Actually, I seldom see Ampeg speakers in smaller acts either... aside for the 8x10, which is mainly for your bigger acts.

Honestly, I'm that big on Ampeg's speakers myself. I picked out mine without every shopping around..... and while they put power to good use and such... they get a C for Price (even though my BXTs were donations) and a D for portability. I can barely even move the friggon things, even with the castors on it.

Their heads are a different story though. Thumbs up to the Classic, The 4Pro, The 2Pro(sometimes), and the 3Pro(Sometimes).

13. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    First, I like the ampeg sound and I have a 4-pro. If your looking at the 810/215 look at the bergantino nv610/nv215 cabs/combo. To my ears, the nv610 is as loud as the 810, better sound, tighter, better highs and lows, a lot smaller and I think even cheaper ($900 for the nv610). The nv cabs are sealed like the classic cabs and are made to compete with the svt810 cab.

14. I'm considering buying a 610hlf vs. buying the 8x10 anniversary edition. But the 8x10 doesn't have the "lower ports and a horn for extended range". Now I play the 5 string and I've been playing a 4x10 along with a 1x15. And It kept me pretty satisfied.

Is the 8x10 a weaker choice ? Is there a "not-so-expensive" solution to pump up the lowend until i'd be able to get a 1x15/1x18 to go along with it?