Ampeg Rocket Bass Combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kranahan, Mar 29, 2021.

1. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  2. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    I like the sound of the SGT circuit in the youtube demo. I would have held on to my SCR-DI if that was in it over the Scrambler.

hbabels, DrMole, sonojono and 2 others like this.
  3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Nice looking combos.

4. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    TAKE MY MONEY!

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    My first thought from the email was that these seemed substantially similar to the current BA series, but the demos sounded pretty good and the weight savings is nice.

rugburn, sonojono and Mastermold like this.
  6. P Cheen

P Cheen Chelsea Blue is the colour! Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    Sign me up! Even though I just got a Microtubes 500 V2, I’ll probably add the RB-112 to my arsenal. Fantastic!

Not that it matters, but anybody know where these are manufactured?

6stringtheorist likes this.
  7. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    Looks like I’m going to be putting my Rumble 100 and Squier Jag short scale up for sale. Should just about cover the cost of the RB115.

8. klaatu

klaatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Southbridge MA
    I was just about to post about these combos. Looks good and may be a good addition to their current gear with more to offer.

9. Rich_Briere

Rich_Briere

Jul 31, 2003

10. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    This is the direction I was hoping for w/ Yamaha ownership.

11. Looks pretty cool. I don’t need a combo but can see these selling well.

12. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Black check (what the hell happened to blue?) and 3-band e.q. Pass. The B-50R, B-100R, and B-200R, and the Rumbles, have highly preferable 4-band e.q. controls, IMO/IME.

The light weight is nice. My B-100R is surprisingly awkward to carry, because it's so thick, with nothing but a top handle right in the middle. However, I wouldn't give up e.q. control for weight reduction.

For this new line, I wish they had simply mated the B-100R's pre-amp to various power amps and cabs.

13. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Very nice! Ampeg/Yamaha will definitely sell a bunch of these combos. I'm not a combo guy, but I like that these look better and weigh less than the Fender counterparts. I wish they had a few more additional information around matching cabs for the 115 and 210 combos.

I wish they had a mid-range selector! ugh!

I'm hoping for an updated SVT 7Pro!

14. China, according to the comparison chart

Attached Files:

P Cheen likes this.
  15. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I agree on all points, however in their hype video on the YT they do specifically state that other than the look - they are a completely different animal than the original rocket bass amps.

....now for the sad face - my B100R has been collecting dust for quite some time as I can find no one to work on it in my area. It's my favorite amp of all time despite it being a tank to get around.

16. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    To me, it seems like they are finally directly attacking the Rumble line...which I suppose they had to get around to at some point. Wide power range across the line, light weight, probably around the same prices.

I will say that the Ampegs certainly look better...but I know, owning both, that the Rumble e.q. controls are superior to the standard Ampeg 3-band, for my uses. When it comes to possibly replacing my Portaflex with a "true combo" for gigging, it will likely be a Rumble (200 or 500) instead of one of these.

17. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    I can’t see these listed in any UK stores. Are they on sale in the US yet?

Steve-Mo likes this.
  18. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    It’s a very welcome change. I’ve felt for a long time that Ampeg was stuck in a rut, and it’s good to see them striking out and finding new ground.

19. Joris 55

Joris 55

Jun 5, 2009
    Belgium
    Nice! I still love my B-100R after all these years. If these amps sounds anything like it, they're gonna be everywhere. And a DI? Kewl!

6stringtheorist, pbass2 and pipaberg like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021