1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Rockets: B100R vs. B200R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lobster11, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I'm familiar with the B100R, love it, and am thinking about getting one. However, I'm also tempted to spend an extra bill to get the B200R instead. Can't decide which way to go. Some of the additional features of the 200 are attractive, but not crucial. For me, there are two crucial issues/questions:

1) Tone: The B100R has an incredibly tubey tone for a solid-state amp, and this is the sound I love and want. My question is, does the addition of a tube preamp to the B200R make it even, well, tubier? That is, is the tone more or less the same as the 100, or is it appreciably better (assuming you like that kind of tone, of course)?

2) Volume: Searching through the archives I discovered that there is some disagreement about whether the 100 is loud enough for a full rock band. Some people say hell yes, others say not quite (at least, with a heavy-handed drummer, an extra guitarist, etc.). So it seems that the 100 is right at the edge in terms of adequate volume, which makes me think that the 200 might be just louder enough to erase any doubt. On the other hand, at least one poster suggested that the 200 doesn't have any more "useable volume" than the 100. One would think that 220W would be noticeably louder than 100, all things being equal, but in this case is it?

So, can we collect in one thread here the opinions of folks who have experience with both of these amps? If you were choosing between them, and wanted lots of warm fat tubey tone, which would you get? Thanks in advance.

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i used to own a b200r. great amp. get that one. the b100r won't have enough volume for gigs, plus the b200r has a DI out. The tube preamp adds "thickness". it was still warm old ampeg tone, but i though when i cranked that gain, i got some more "thickness".

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    WoW!

I thought that they just came out!

You got rid of it already? It must have fallen short in some respect if it wasn't a keeper. Why did you get rid of it?

:D

Joe.

4. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Yeah, I'm curious too. Howcum you don't still have the B200R?

Anyone else have any advice on the B100R vs. B200R? I'm eager to to make a decision and place an order asap! Thanks.

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    no problems. my gig circumstances changed and i needed a bigger rig. I'm doing a Aguilar DB359 w/ GS212. I'm playing a lot more large venue gigs now and i needed a bigger rig. I couldn't hold onto the B200r and get the new rig, so it had to go. If i had the cash, it would still be here, but alas...