Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AMPEG rookie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassoon, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Bassoon

Bassoon

Aug 1, 2003
    Germany
    Hi!

I have sold my old rubish stack, and i want to buy me now a new ampeg head. I have to make a decision between B4r/b5r, v4bh & svt 3pro!

Which amp would you buy?/Why?
    What are the differences of these amps?
    Advantages?

Thanx Johannes!

2. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    I've heard most of those. I'd get the V4BH if you're fine with the 100 watt all tube rating. It's amazing for mic'ed gigs and for recording. For jams, it may or may not cut it. Depends on the rest of your band.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    This depends on alot of things like what type of band you play in.How loud you will need to be. What cabinets will you be using. Do you like the tube or solid state sound etc.... If you want tubes go with the V4b I've heard that it's a loud 100 watts. I prefer solid state and chose the B4r over the B5r because the B4r had the tone I wanted, had more power and more flexability because it has a stereo power amp. Also The B5r had abunch of bells and whistles that I just didn't care for or need. Just my opinion, but I did spend quite a bit of time choosing my amp.:bassist:

4. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    There is an SVT-CL in the for sale forum . . .

:D

5. Bassoon

Bassoon

Aug 1, 2003
    Germany
    why didn't you buy the svt3pro cb56????

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Actually I did buy the SVT3pro and returned it after a couple of weeks. To me the SVT3pro sounded distorted when I had it push a 4ohm load. Not a bad distorted sound it was actually good sounding but I couldn't get rid of the distortion no matter what I did. I do like to have a clean undistorted tone most of the time. If you want to do a search on the SVT3pro you will probably see a few threads about this from about a year ago.
    I play mostly 5 string and the distortion seemed worse on notes below low E. It really seeemed to make them low notes sound "mushy" and undefined. I ended up playing through 3 different SVT3pros and they all sounded the same. Well it turns out that the B4r wasn't that much more $ than the SVT3pro and it has almost twice the power at 350watts x2 or 1000 watts bridged, so that's what I traded up to and have been happy ever since. The B4r does have a texture button that simulates tube distortion that I use when needed. Sounds great to my ears but probably wouldn't please a tube snob. :D Anyway that's my story. Hope you end up with an amp that makes you as happy as mine has made me. :bassist:

7. cb56. What cabs do you use, and do you gig often? I am going to have to upgrade my rig soon. I have a B3158, I love the tone, but I need some ground shaking bass rig. So I am unsure if I shour get a used svt3 for about 400, or wait about 5 weeks after I have that much, and spring for a used B4? The cabs I will be using though will be a 4x10 and 2x10 avatar. And I plan on doing many gigs soon, now that I have a band going again.

8. I would suggest the B5R through an 810 (or an 410HLF). It's what I use and even large outdoor stages it is plenty of power (and I play VERY loud). What's nice about it is that is it so light and only 2RU plus it has the extra stuff on it. I also use an SVT CL and SVT2-PRO but for the amount of gigs I do my back just says no to the tube stuff.

I would suggest trying every amp you can, I just decided to get the B5R without trying it and it worked out very well. If you really want a powerhouse check into the SVT4-PRO, great tone and tons of watts.

Good luck-

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    theshaz92, I am a weekend player that plays about 6-8 gigs a month. Most of the time I use an Ampeg 610hlf cab and a carvin 210 wedge 350 watts each. Sometimes I use the Ampeg 610 Bridged at 1000 watts if I'm playing an outdoor gig. I also have a couple of Bag End 15 cabs for my small rig but I am in the process of selling those and will probably get a couple of 210 cabs to use as my small rig. Another reason I chose the B4r is because the stereo power amp makes it very versitile. you could run 4 8ohm cabs if you wanted too. imagine four 410 cabs or 2 410 cabs with 2 18's etc.... $400 for a SVT3pro sounds like a great deal if it's in good shape. That would power your 410 cab plus 210 cab just fine. just give it a listen first and make sure that's the sound you really want. If so i'd say go for it.:bassist:

BTW you can check my cheezy little web page for links to see my bass rig and my band's web page etc....