Ampeg Sale!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JRBrown, Nov 29, 2002.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Local store has these two new, boxed. Which would you choose?

AMpeg SVT3-pro 769.99

Ampeg SVT4-pro 770.00

JB

2. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    neither...

wouldnt mind a SVT2-PRO though :cool:

3. SVT-4. Only becuase it is a very high powered amp. I own the SVT3, and love the Ampeg sound, just wish there was more power.

jtbp

4. Do a search on both here on TB. I believe lots of people have a problem w/ the power of the SVT-3

Me? Glad you asked. Get a SVP-Pro and a Carvin DCM1000 or 1500. Plug in, turn on and never worry about the lack of power or a full tube preamp ampeg sound.

5. I'd go with the SVT4. It's one better. :p

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Of course the whole point being that there is a one cent difference. :D

Gorsh, I guess I will cough up the penny and buy the 4. ;)

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The SVT4 doesn't suffer from the lack of headroom that the 3 does. At least mine doesn't.;)

8. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    OK, so the svt4-pro is only a penny more and with twice the power. But you loose 2 tubes, the tube gain control, portability, and efficient cooling with the svt4-pro.

9. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    JR--Soundwise, I can't tell the difference between not having the 2 extra tubes on my Svt4. The tube gain on the 3pro seems to be a joke, from what I have seen experienced from extensively trying one before I bought my 4pro, and from what I have heard from a few other people who actually own them. Some may think it actually does something positive, but I couldn't see that it did. The portability isn't an issue for me, although it is an extra rack space and a bit heavier than the 3pro. And I haven't had any problems with cooling on mine, even when running it mono bridged at 4 ohms at hot outdoor gigs for extensive periods of time. YMMV of course.;)

For a pennies difference, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind where my money would go, and I am speaking from my own personal experiences, of course. I hope I don't sound like I am too biased, but I am extremely happy with mine.

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    No Brainer. SVT4 pro :cool:

11. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks! But I ended up with the SWR 750X for a lot cheaper.

12. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The SWR is a good choice too. I had an SM-900s for a while, TONS of headroom, but I just couldn't quite get "my" sound out of it.

13. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    A lot cheaper than $770?How much did you pay for it?