Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Sale!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JRBrown, Nov 29, 2002.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Local store has these two new, boxed. Which would you choose?

AMpeg SVT3-pro 769.99

Ampeg SVT4-pro 770.00

JB

2. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    neither...

wouldnt mind a SVT2-PRO though :cool:

3. SVT-4. Only becuase it is a very high powered amp. I own the SVT3, and love the Ampeg sound, just wish there was more power.

jtbp

4. Do a search on both here on TB. I believe lots of people have a problem w/ the power of the SVT-3

Me? Glad you asked. Get a SVP-Pro and a Carvin DCM1000 or 1500. Plug in, turn on and never worry about the lack of power or a full tube preamp ampeg sound.

5. I'd go with the SVT4. It's one better. :p

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Of course the whole point being that there is a one cent difference. :D

Gorsh, I guess I will cough up the penny and buy the 4. ;)

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The SVT4 doesn't suffer from the lack of headroom that the 3 does. At least mine doesn't.;)

8. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    OK, so the svt4-pro is only a penny more and with twice the power. But you loose 2 tubes, the tube gain control, portability, and efficient cooling with the svt4-pro.

9. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    JR--Soundwise, I can't tell the difference between not having the 2 extra tubes on my Svt4. The tube gain on the 3pro seems to be a joke, from what I have seen experienced from extensively trying one before I bought my 4pro, and from what I have heard from a few other people who actually own them. Some may think it actually does something positive, but I couldn't see that it did. The portability isn't an issue for me, although it is an extra rack space and a bit heavier than the 3pro. And I haven't had any problems with cooling on mine, even when running it mono bridged at 4 ohms at hot outdoor gigs for extensive periods of time. YMMV of course.;)

For a pennies difference, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind where my money would go, and I am speaking from my own personal experiences, of course. I hope I don't sound like I am too biased, but I am extremely happy with mine.

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    No Brainer. SVT4 pro :cool:

11. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks! But I ended up with the SWR 750X for a lot cheaper.

12. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The SWR is a good choice too. I had an SM-900s for a while, TONS of headroom, but I just couldn't quite get "my" sound out of it.

13. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    A lot cheaper than $770?How much did you pay for it?