1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SB-12 Portaflex

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Colonel129, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Colonel129

Colonel129

Feb 23, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    So I found an individual who is selling a Vintage Ampeg SB-12 Portaflex. He has it listed for $600. I have already requested to see more pictures of the amp due tot he fact he only has 2 posted. My question: Is this a good deal? Should I ask for a lower price? What is a typical price for one of these that is in decent shape, and works as it should? Thanks for your all's :help:!

2. tifftunes

tifftunes Guest

Price fluctuates on vintage gear... I recently sold my B-15, for example, for $3300, when others were also selling for $600. Depends upon condition, age, and seller's/buyer's "needs."

Short answer, if it's in very clean, working condition, all original, and you like it, $600 is a great price for a hand wired Ampeg from the 60s! Its probably one of the best recording amps of the ages for both bass and guitar (IMHO)!

3. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    I would do it in a heartbeat.

I'm still down about an SB-12 in beautiful condition that sold close to me recently for $800.

One day I have to learn the lesson of putting a set amount of money aside and being patient enough to wait for the right deal to pop up.....cuz they always do when I'm broke.

$600 for an SB-12.....as long as it isn't beat to heck.....I'd do it.

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    As long as it doesn't need major work, $600 is a great price. I recently bought a B15 for $500 which needed some repairs, had been recovered, and had a JBL speaker - cap job, new tubes, and a few repro parts later I have a fantastic sounding B15 for under $700.

5. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    There is a store by my old school that has 2 B-12's that've asked about on several occasion. They have blown speakers, and are missing tubes, yet they are still asking $800-900 for them

They clearly are still there since that is an absurd price for something that is broken, but yeah $600 if I was in MD and knew where to find it...it would be mine.