Ampeg SB-12

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Jacob Bartfield, Feb 26, 2002.

1. I have an old Ampeg SB-12. How would that sound with an upright bass? I'm just wondering if I should get a seperate amp for my upright, (when I get it).
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    See how it sounds when get all the pieces in the same room.
  3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The SB-12 was my first amp back in the sixties. It's a nice-sounding unit, assuming the circuit components haven't deteriorated out of spec and the tubes are reasonably decent. It can tend to be a little dark as far as I recall (my memory is similarly dark), ok for double bass, but it's also only about 25 watts, not much by today's standards. And I suspect it will sound a helluva lot better with something other than the old Polytone pickup I used with it back then!

I saw one at a vintage guitar show a few years ago and was overwhelmed with a rush of nostalgia and briefly thought about taking it home... until I went over and picked it up. Yeeech!!

While older instruments have charm, and older guitar amps can be cool, contemporary amps are the best for bass IMHO. ;)

But seriously, it's a pretty decent amp, tonally, for double bass- the "SB" in the name was for "String Bass".
  4. Thanks. Since my post earlier today, I actually got a bass. It's a 1960s Juzek that's barely been played (5/8 scale). It's sounds great, but it definately has a "new" sound to it, and it may take it a couple months to break in. Now all I need is a pickup so I can see how it sounds through my SB-12.