1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg sb12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DerekP, Jan 14, 2012.

1. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    Someone is selling one locally for $1000 is that a fair price or too high? I don't know much about these amps but I do want a fliptop!

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I checked out the toronto craiglist ad. It looks to be in very good shape. The tolex is clean and the chrome chassis doesn't look rusted out. This shows that the amp has been well cared for.

The seller states that it was recently serviced with a cap job, new power cord, and new rectifier tube. This is a big plus as it saves a chunk of cash that you would have had to spend after you bought the amp.

The speaker looks original. Although I can't see the label, it is probably made by RSC, Radio Speakers of Canada. Interesting story, RSC used to manufacture Jensen speakers with the RSC label in Canada. The parts were all from Jensen. The speaker is a Jensen Concert model. Ampeg would ship the amps to the Canadian distributor and the speakers were installed. I'm guessing but I suspect that this allowed them to value the amp at a lower rate and pay less import tax. Marshall used to do the same thing at one time, the amps were shipped to North America without speakers and tubes.

In general, these amps sell for more in Canada because there aren't as many available as in the United States. If you factor in the price of shipping and importing one from the US, considering the condition and recent servicing, I think that the price is fair.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd have to agree. It's maybe a little high, but how often do they come around up there locally? Shipping is going to be around $100-125, and that's not counting the extra taxes Canada slaps on shipments, plus if it's been serviced like that and is all tuned up, that's great.

4. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. I'll let you know if I pick it up.

5. You both make great points, I didn't notice Derek is in Canada. May not be a bad deal at that price with all that work done already. Good luck Derek and be sure and post up on the Portaflex thread if you do get it.

6. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    Picked it up today for $900. It's in great shape and sounds amazing. I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

7. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    If mine went away, I'd pay a lot to get another one. :help:

It's become a must for recording.

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Congratulations. When you play through these amps, the tone is inspiring.

9. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Congrats Derek,i live near the GTA had i knew:crying:

10. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    Congrats, I own a ton of gear but have always wanted one of these

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005