Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SBT Head + 215 cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    What is this thing? Someone has offered it to me in trade for my RC210.

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Bump... Any Vintage Ampeg Gurus out there? I haven't yet had any luck finding any reference to this on the internet except for a couple of text for sale pages.

3. Are you sure the person didn't hit the B on their keyboard by accident? It is right beside the V key.

4. If it is in fact and S-V-T, with all tubes, I'd get it checked out by an amp tech ASAP and if it checks out, DO THE DEAL!! The guy is screwing himself trading that for a Carvin 2x10. Heck, even if it's the non-tube SVT (basically a B2 head), it's still an awesome deal.

Let us know how it turns out......

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    It's definately a SBT.

I have read so far that it's a Ampeg Preamp, that uses powered speakers!!

But I don't know if it's any good, or whatnot...

6. looks like an SBT with cab is worth about $700 US. I don't think I'd do the deal. It's an old amp rig that for some reason never was successful, based on my research. Most often, but not always, there's a reason products aren't successful.

My SVT-48HE cab, however; can't figure out why that was discontinued.

Mark

7. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Ampeg really should bring back those 4x8's... I really wish there was a place that had them. If anyone finds one please let me know!

8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i just got back from a place that an SBT, it sounded phenomenal! i don't know what year it was, but the store was asking 300 for the head and the cab. Hmm, this would be sweet to bi-amp a vintage ampeg rig with a modern ampeg rig... i was very confused. i plugged in the pre, switched it on and nothin. then switched on the cab, then nothin. then i plugged in the cab and them boom! i've never heard a 2x15 cab, but man this thing had some low end! i really really dug it. Had the old skool ampeg mids, with nice lows. I really think i'm gonna pick this baby up. i know i really don't need it, but its a sweet deal and i could use it for some really cool stuff!

9. I actually own one of these! I use it as a backup to my '69 SVT. I run it thru the P.A. system. It sounds SWEET!

10. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Wow - I had totally forgotten about that amp! Right after I graduated from high school in '73 I spent the summer gigging with that year's version of Johnny & the Hurricanes. Johnny had that amp and that's what I used that summer.

I don't remember much about the tone, but it was entirely adequate in those days before sound reinforcement.

11. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

the SBT cab is almost identical to the Sunn 2000S cab and came loaded with Altec (421A's?), one cab was 120watts RMS and I flat out belive (I know a watt is a watt) that it was a very loud and deep 120 watts.
    The head was a pre amp, the power amp was in the bottom of the speaker cab. My guess would be that some issues exist with the concept. A friend has one and it still functions well. Hehas both cabs but only uses one at a time.
    As with ant real Ampeg, it is not light.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

PS i spoke with a punk bassist that had one. He couldn't keep it funcTioning for more than a month at a whack. His was beat to heck and abused looking beyond all comprehension. He ended up using an old cheap CS800 for power.

12. cooperc

cooperc

Mar 18, 2007
    One response captures the cabinet pretty well. ~1972 Ampeg built a dual Altec 421 cabinet with a single aluminum curved port in the center of the cabinet. The solid state amp had a volume control and multiples could be chained by jumping signal. The box was tremendously punchy, with billiant highs and powerful lows. Taking signal from and SVT head to the cabinet was very successful. SBT powered cabinet was built to have the solid state preamp. Dual Altec and dual JBL bass 15" lacked the distortion 10" develop at high output.

13. cooperc

cooperc

Mar 18, 2007
    Whatever happened to the SBT (2 - Altec 421 ported self powered cabinet)? This was a 2002 posting. I had one pre-amped from an SVT head and the 15's did not distort when the 10's fell apart.

14. I'm looking to sell my SBT now. Pictures available upon request. It's in near museum quality. $500 obo.

15. AMPEG SBT and two SBT Cabinets: I've got the head and 2 cabs.. They sound super and are virtually indestructible. Don't use 'em much any more. Gigging small venues and clubs. Mine is a 1969 or possibly '70 model. The cabinets can be used with any head with a preamp out. We even used them in the PA at one time. Solid, Punchy. Back in the day before large PA systems I used this rig with an SVT and two cabs. The sound would literally hold you up when you leaned back.

16. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Cracks me up when I get emails about my ressurected 9 year old thread. :p

17. Gabu dude... 9 years.. I was just looking for something on Ampeg SBT. This came up in Google search. Anyway...be cool and play low!!!

18. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks Scott. :)

I didn't take that deal, just to wrap up the thread, though I did sell the 210 and replace it with .... I think a set of Avatar portable 1x15 and 1x12 cabs with an Ampeg AVP and QSC 2000w power amp.

But then that ended up getting sold too. lol

I dunno why, but even when I like my gear I end up selling it and trying new stuff.

19. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Gas is a terrible thing to waste.:)

20. I've got two rigs I use most of the time . Mesa Boogie 400+ with a Mesa 2x12 + horn(low B comes out fine) for most band gigs. and a Fender Bassman 400 2x10+horn for when I'm doing a pick-up gig... it's easy to handle and is a great little amp.