Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SBT Preamp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xax712, Oct 8, 2002.

1. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    I saw one of these for sale on the net and was wondering about them. It was for $125. I wondered if this was a steal. I know it's vintage and SS. But I hav never had a chance to play one and was wondering if anyone on here had? Is it a steal for that price I'm looking to upgrade and the cash flow right now was going to allow for a cheaper preamp until this Spring. So how does this thing stack up? Any advice for me? Is it something to look into?
    Thanks,
    Brad

2. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    Ok does anybody know about these???
    Has anyone ever played on one?

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  4. Ampeg SBT that is.. It is a fine preamp. solid state version of the SVT pre-amp..may be the same. It is rare , vintage. They were the partner to the original SVT amps. In the late sixties and early 70's, when you needed massive stage volume. I played thru an SBT with two of the SBT 2-15 cabs and thru an SVT with two 8-10's... I still have my SBT and two 2-15 cabs. I use one of them and the SBT pre amp for a practice amp. ( have an SWR 6-10+h and SWR SM900 for gigging.) The SBT with two 2-15 powered cabs sold for around 1850.00 new in 1969 .. same price as an SVT with two cabs.

5. If you have some I'd love to see some pics of a powered ampeg cab.

6. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I had the same SBT setup for a while in 1970 with the Solid State SBT preamp and 2 SBT-215 Solid State powered bottoms. It sounded pretty good but the powered bottoms were not reliable for me, they quit on me twice and I replaced this system with a brand new at the time '70 SVT with 2 Ampeg 215 Altec loaded cabs which to me sounded way better than the SS model and were utterly reliable.

George

7. ... I'll take a pic. and post it. Looks like about any other Ampeg Cab. but with the power amp built into the back of the cabs. (Note. mine came with Altec Lansing speakers in the cabs. it still sounds great) We had rehersal last night. An SBT head & cab. is what I leave set up in the practice room now. It definitely has that vintage Ampeg Growl and has a serious presence. It had been basically unused for the last few years. Every time I play through it it sounds better. Burning off the dust I guess. WOLF.. I had the same problem at a show in '70. The electronics guy that fixed it did a great job. It hasn't gone down since. I used that setup until 1998 or so.. I experimented around and ended up with the SWR rig(sounds like an ampeg but with the horn and advanced eq. more up to date.)

8. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

To me, as far as tone goes the SVT sounded much better and fuller than the SBT. By the way, I had some SWR gear in the early eighties and really didn't care for the tone. I especially avoid horns and "advanced" eq. I guess I'm just really into that Warm full tube tone. It really is interesting to hear from someone who actually played one of the old SBT's, they weren't that popular. Thanks for the memories.

George

9. I agree about the SVT being warmer but the SBT has a great sound too. The ultimate rig was both together. The mix of 15's and 10's.. very "moving" ..... I could just about lean back into the sound and let it hold me up!!

The SWR stuff is way better than it was in the 80's. Tube preamp.. and the horn in the cab can be dialed in or out or anywhere in between. I really had a hard time learning the EQ though. Sometimes I have to get out the instruction manual and get a fresh start on it. But.. it's easy to carry(6 10's 900 watts) not nearly as heavy or cumbersome as the 2-15 ampeg cab., and it sounds really good when it's set right.

10. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

and it may not, the SBT cabs are almost identical to the Sunn 2000S cabs, and that is way cool. Last century cool to use a phrasefrom an earlier post, but still way cool in my mind.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

11. I got a new Mesa 400+ and the 2 12 + horn cab.. road ready. Whoah.. It's a bad mutha..shut yo mouth!!! 12 ax7's.. sure is pretty in the dark.

12. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Hey Bass' ): Ace,
    Cool page and thats some seriously nice lookin gear.