1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SCR-DI and SansAmp VT Bass DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by noveltea93, May 28, 2018.

1. noveltea93

noveltea93

Feb 5, 2018
    Narrowed my search down to these two options (though also still somewhat tempted by para driver and EBS microbass II) and I was wondering which one handles other effects (primarily fuzz and distortion better). I know the tone differences between the two have been reviewed (though if you have thoughts feel free to share) but I don;t see much comparing the speaker emulation, or ability to handle distortion beyond what's built into the pedal.

2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Go with the VT. More versatile, better quality (IMO), and plenty of headroom for whatever pedal you put in front of it. The Ampeg sounded great but did not like my hot basses at all.

Curtybob likes this.
  3. Sillystrings

Sillystrings Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2018
    Californy
    There is a 15db pad switch inside the pedal if your signal is too hot. Kind of a shame you have to open it up to engage though.

4. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Did that, brought the level down so low it didn't drive my amp enough.

5. noveltea93

noveltea93

Feb 5, 2018
    Found a VT Bass DI for $140, snatched it up. Guess SansAmp is the industry standard for a reason. Looking forward to testing it out.

BillMason and eriky4003 like this.
  6. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I bought the SCR-DI a few weeks back. I really really love the headphone tone and the ability to use it as a silent practice amp with an audio input, plus the ability to adjust the aux input volume relative to my bass volume. Sounded great solo through my amp’s effects return too. I’ve used it with the band at rehearsal a couple of times, but found myself adjusting the master volume on my amp upward a few times - I have highs and lows at or just under noon and mids just above noon, and am using a 2014 American Standard P bass. I shouldn’t have trouble being heard through a CMD121P.

Wednesday I was in the local music store and they had a VT Bass DI that I spent about 30 minutes playing with, and I ended up buying it. I had a lot of fun with it! I haven’t had the chance to A-B them yet but plan to do that today as I’m off work. The VT bass to my ears sounded much more tubey, and the drive sounds much more usable. Not to knock the SCR-DI, I think it sounds very Ampeg, and am tempted to keep and use them both. I’m also gonna try them both in the Input of my amp, as well as the fx return.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  7. HeathenHeart

HeathenHeart

Apr 29, 2014
    The Ampeg really hates hot pickups; I've had severe clipping issues with it. I fixed it with the -15db switch, but it ended up killing the tone so much. I've since sold the pedal and never looked back.

The tone is good if you are looking for that Ampeg bite. The scrambler/overdrive circuit is decent, but really nothing special compared to popular drive/distortion pedals, and I ended up never using it.

I'd go with the sansamp.

basscapes and birminghambass like this.
  8. Had the same issue with my DiMarzio-equipped P-Bass. My J-PUP (DiMarzio as well) Yamaha never had an issue. But as soon as the P-Bass hit the SCR, it was there- that stupid, non-musical crackle of clipping.

The -15db switch helps, but now I have to boost the Yamaha's output to match the P-bass.

If it's any consolation, my P-Bass sounds like CRAP through my Tronographic Rusty Box preamp (all farty with no clarity- roll the tone off and it's Seven Nation Army for days!), but the Yamaha sounds like Chris Squire's clank through it! Hmm...

9. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Verdict: The VT Bass overdrive sounds much more musical in the mix than the SCR-DI. I actually had some compliments on my tone from the guitar player, and I felt my playing was improved, inspired by good tone. The VT Bass also sounds more "tubey" on clean tones, with lots of volume. Unfortunately, I have to keep both of them, as the SCR-DI is just so darned useful as a headphone practice amp, especially with the blendable aux in, and also just sounds really good through headphones.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  10. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    What do you think of it?

11. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I found that the SCR-DI works pretty good in an effects loop, in front of an amp, or a good IEM companion.

IMO, the DI was more of a "in case of emergency" addition.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  12. Hi @Raw N Low (and anybody else who wants to chip in). I know almost nothing about DI-ing. It's a pretty new thing for me. At this point, I'm just trying to gather information and increase my knowledge before I make a decision. So...

I use an Ampeg PF-500 head and 4x10 cab for most of my live work, but more venues now allow (I'd say prefer) DI. The PF-500 has an XLR out so I could take the head and run a line out to the house DI, preserving the Ampeg tone. But I'm thinking about the SCR-DI, to give me the same tone without carrying the heavy stuff - using it instead of an amp, not with an amp. Therefore, I'm interested in your comment about the SCR-DI working well "in front of an amp". When using it this way, where is it plugged in?
    • If the pedal is in the effects loop (or into the instrument input on the front of the amp) how are you using the two sets of tone controls in the signal path?
    • I could plug the pedal into the "power amp in" jack on the PF-500, using the pedal as the pre-amp and bypassing the amp's tone settings altogether. Would there be any advantage over using the amp's tone shaping, other than adding the scrambler function? Or not?
    Finally, in other people's experiences, are FOH sound crew generally happy for people to bring their own DI, or do they prefer you to use the house gear?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Raw N Low likes this.
  13. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    If your playing at a venue that has a solid backline and engineer, then DI is something to really consider. Not only does it allow the sound guy to blend an ideal front of house mix but, it also minimizes the footprint on stage. A solid DI can also help in recording and some studio rehearsals. I only take my SVT-DI and a bass to a jazz/funk/R&B band I play in. That particular model works great with basses that have active preamps. It boils down to what do you need your DI to do as far as sound goes.

You could stack the preamps on the PF-500 but, the SCR-DI will sound to close in to the PF. Let's say you wanted to run it as a preamp, the you could run it from the power in patch. I've ran the SCR-DI in front of amps that were less than desirable for my taste or, as a heart for pedal board rig.

Whether or not you use one often; it's always good to have one in your bag in case of emergencies. I had a spare of the moment issue pop up last week and my DI saved me going into the mixing board.

whero likes this.
  14. Btbp

Btbp

Mar 2, 2008
    Everywhere at once
    Although I consider these two pedals to be plums and peaches, good thread and one relevant to me.

Having said that, I still struggle with the differences between the Sansamp offerings, and can't find a shop that has all of them to compare to each other.