1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SCR-DI info needed

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by descendent22, Nov 3, 2017.

1. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    I am interested in getting this pedal. I have the new generation Ampeg BA-210 & BA-110 combo amps. I would love an SVT unit but I don't have that kind of ca$h right now. Anyway, the BA amps have an Ampeg tone but I'm looking to get more out of it. I want more of that SVT gridy grindy tone without sounding to distorted.should I go with this Ampeg DI pedal or go with some other brand? Can someone tell me some info on this DI and or any others?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think the SCR-DI is a terrific pedal, but it's duplication of what you already have in your BA amps.

Dec1975 likes this.
  3. jdaunt

jdaunt

Jun 30, 2016
    Flint
    What he said. The Scrambler function on those amps is the same dirt you’ll get from the DI.

4. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    That's what I needed to know! Thank you. With that said can you recommend some other good Di boxes?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No :D

Seriously, everyone's got one now and it all depends on what you want. And does it have to be a DI? Might come in handy with the BA110, but you could just run out of the BA210's own DI and get a dirt pedal instead. I will say that I find the Scrambler stand-alone pedal quite improved over the one in the BA amps and SCR-DI. Sounds the same but you don't have to add low end in the preamp when you use heavier drive settings like you do with the BA/SCR-DI version. Been my #1 mild OD pedal since I got it. But there are so many dirt pedals and bass preamp DI's out there that do the "grind with not too much distortion" thing that you really can't just name one.

petrus61 likes this.
  6. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Well that's what I'm looking for. I don't want distortion at all, just dirt and I'm having trouble finding the right pedal.

7. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    For that the Sansamp VT Bass DI or just VT bass pedal both can do Ampeg Ish dirty with no distortion so can the Darkglass VMT and B3K you just have to not max out the settings cause they can do much more than that but also excel at what you describe.

The scrambler pedal sounds promising if it's improved over the scrambler /DI. That one ishiod as a Preamp and DI but I've not loved the scrambler portion of it. It's ok but I prefer the Sansamp VT or any of the Darkglass.

The Darkglass really do subtle dirt/ grind really well even though most demos highlight they're higher gain more distorted sounds.