1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg Scr-di mods

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by abracadunphy, Oct 19, 2017.

1. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
    Hi all, for some time I have been looking for it, without results, some modification for the scr-di, specifically the scrambler section, to use it as powerful distortion, fuzz, or something similar.

Someone knows something about it? Greetings :thumbsup:

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I think you are better replacing it, or stacking another pedal into the SCR-DI. The preamp is great but the Scrambler is a pretty lame sounding OD in my opinion.

3. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
    I already have an overdrive and a fuzz stacked in the scr-di. It's just curiosity, and maybe because I'm looking for an excuse to use this bad boy

soldador-estano-40w_2.

TinyE and Crank1 like this.
  4. Crank1

Crank1

Apr 6, 2017
    No one knows?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The pedal version is much better.

Just sayin' :D

6. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Isn't it the same thing? How is it better? Further, is the preamp pedal the same as the DI preamp?

abracadunphy likes this.
  7. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Ampeg might call it the same thing, but I really don't think it is. The Scrambler in the SCR-DI is easily the worst thing about that pedal. It also sounds nothing like the "Scrambler" in the current Ampeg BA amps. I use the Scrambler on my BA-110 frequently and I adore the sound I get, but on the SCR-DI, it's garbage IMO.

Fab Superlative and wolfkeller like this.
  8. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Yeah it's useless on my scr di BUT the preamp is awesome!

Fab Superlative likes this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It's sort of the same thing except there's no low end reduction in the separate pedal when you crank the drive. And the preamp pedal is sort of the same except in the SCR-DI there's a highs cut that the Classic doesn't have. Same with the Scrambler, too.

Son of Wobble and wolfkeller like this.
  10. Does that high cut apply when just using the SCR's EQ? Curious. I haven't noticed that with the SCR into my amp/cab (SWR power/SVT810). It does however, sounds really nice through the XLR into my recording rig!

BTW, I still haven't gotten into the thing to mod it to REALLY drive a power amp (somewhere around the 1.4VRMS sensitivity my amp needs to see for full output). The difference in output between the SCR with volume full up and the Tronographic Rusty box (at preamp output, which is NOT adjustable) is still a good 10-15db down(Rusty being the louder). Ampeg has been no help with info or schematics (even though I told them I'd sign a nondisclosure as an Elec. Tech.)...

11. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    This would never happen, but it would be great if Ampeg would get together with someone on the od section of theSCR DI the way Keeley & JHS got together a while back on that ham and eggs guitar pedal collaboration...

Fab Superlative and basscapes like this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yes it does.

abracadunphy and basscapes like this.
  13. Your wood burning set? :roflmao:

14. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I truly believe collaborations with other companies could be a winning solution for Ampeg. I have the SCR-DI and use it often, but I never use the Scrambler---sounds ridiculously bad.

I would have been happier if Ampeg teamed up with the following:
    - TC Electronics - really good tuner/preamp/di
    - Keeley - really good compressor/preamp/di

The list could go on and on...

Wfrance3 likes this.
  15. I dunno, I've used the Scrambler in the DI and enjoyed it, but I mostly use it lightly with some blend in. Or just crank it. But I also have bad taste and have never had a pedal before, so there is that.

On the preamp side, I've noticed that there's a high end cutoff that I'm not too fond of. I don't mind it with bass, but it makes the pedal non-functional for guitar, though it's a bass pedal, also, a mid selector switch would be nice too.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Lovep and basscapes like this.
  16. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I am basing my opinion on the pedal version! :D

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The only thing I don't like about the Scrambler in the DI and BA amps is that the more you crank the drive, the more low end or blend knob you need to keep your lows consistent. Otherwise I think it's a great little circuit that's very different from most of them, and that issue was fixed in the pedal version. I've got quite a few excellent OD's but always end up going back to the separate Scrambler pedal.

Nothing is for everybody, but in both my bands, everyone prefers my OD sound with the Scrambler over my other OD pedals by a longshot. And I'm not just saying that because I endorse Ampeg. Pedals aren't their main business...they wouldn't care in the least if I preferred to use something else.

18. Yeah, a mid selector would have been awesome for that pedal (even if only three instead of five )...

And, as I say, my other complaint- output level that really isn't meant for EVERY power amp...

19. I forgot about that one, but I'm with you in it, it doesn't output enough for even my pf-500. It's a bit hot for the input, not hot enough for the effects return. Still a good pedal though, I just had to figure out how to use it, if that makes sense.

abracadunphy and basscapes like this.
  20. Yeah, and like I said in a reply earlier- Ampeg isn't willing to help out an Electronics Technician with any info.

I'm about to the point where I don't care about the "voiding the warranty" crap. I'm pretty sure that it's a resistor or two to change out (especially if the output stage is an opamp...).

As soon as my solder station, O-scope and tools are unpacked (I just moved back to Florida... Yeah, like 3 months ago!), I'm having at it!

abracadunphy likes this.