1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SCR-DI Sound Problem?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hepbass, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Hepbass

Hepbass

Dec 27, 2015
    South Dakota
    I recently purchased an Ampeg SCR-DI and absolutely love the sound when playing alone or hammering out the low end. But... I've had difficulty hearing mid and high-end notes when playing with the band. The pedal seems to scoop it out too much. I've done just about everything I can think of to adjust for it but can't quite come up with a good solution. I've resorted to bypassing the pedal on many of the songs we play so the bass can be heard at the mid and higher notes. Anyone else having the same issues? Any suggestions on how to adjust for it?

2. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Nope, mine is always on and I don't have any problems hearing my full range. Hard to give you suggestions without actually hearing your sound but lets start with some basics. What kind of bass are you playing. What amp and cab configuration? Any other pedals in your chain? Are you engaging the Ultra Lo/Hi switches? Are you using the Scrambler circuit?

3. Hepbass

Hepbass

Dec 27, 2015
    South Dakota
    Sorry for the poor pic but you get the idea. I don't yet have the knobs and strings back on it.

Attached Files:

4. Hepbass

Hepbass

Dec 27, 2015
    South Dakota
    Shoot... wrong post. Sorry about that. Anyway... I play a Fender Duff, an Ibenez SR500, and a Washburn Acoustic. I play through a GK MB800 and a GK NEO 410. I can get my Washburn to sound good but the electronics on it are really geared towards the high-end anyway. No other pedals. I've tried engaging and disengaging both of the ultra buttons. It's not that you can't hear it. It just seems so quiet. I did pick the pedal up refurbished from a reputable store. Maybe that could have something to do with it.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Try my usual settings...bass 1:30, mids 2:00, treble 10:00, ultra buttons off. Won't promise dead flat response, but it should help.

Wfrance3 likes this.
  6. Fiset

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    My settings are:

Bass 1:30, mids 11:00, treble 9:30, Ultra Lo engaged. I keep the EQ on my amp flat but I also use a Source Audio Programmable EQ where I roll off a bit at 62Hz, 125Hz and 250Hz and bump a bit at 4K and 8K.

You said everything sounds fine to your ears when playing by yourself. Is that through your amp or through headphones? What about bumping up the volume on the pedal...does that have any effect? Its possible you have a defective pedal but I think its more likely you just haven't found the right combination between the pedal, amp and tone controls on your bass.

7. Hepbass

Hepbass

Dec 27, 2015
    South Dakota
    We (the band of two) mostly practice through headphones so we don't upset the neighbors. We have a drum machine and a few affects that would wake up the neighbors kids. Although, the times I've played live at a gig I still have the issue. When I bump up the volume on the pedal then I'm booming the low end. I like a cool tone (as opposed to a hot tone) so if I crank up the volume and turn down the bass knob it's a bit hot for me.

8. Fiset

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Hmmm, its always difficult to advise these sorts of issues because it may just come down to taste. The Ampeg flavor just might not work for your ears. Are there any other preamps you have tried and liked (or tried and discarded)? I was a BDDI guy for many years and thats a pedal with a most definite mid-scoop. I find the SCR-DI much fuller and richer and I haven't had any problems cutting through a band mix which includes a drummer, two guitarists and a keyboard player. Can't say for sure whats causing your issue but perhaps demoing a couple of different preamps could shed some light.

9. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    Sounds like an issue I had with a GK MB-500. In certain rooms, I literally could not hear anything but boominess, no clear notes. Do you have the same problem without the pedal engaged? If so, you could be experiencing the same thing I did. Luckily, I bring a backup amp to every gig, so with the same everything else, the backup kept me from having a bad night. I say this with no malice toward GK equipment. I thought it was a good amp, and there certain situations where it performed/sounded better.

10. corndog

corndog Supporting Member

Do you have the same response with all of your basses? The pedal works beautifully with my passive p, but I struggle with my stingray.

11. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    My SCR-DI sounds best when used by itself. I'm not huge effects guy. I have a little Keeley comp+ that I use with it sometimes. Honestly the ampeg pedal sounds the fullest and most beefy to me when used just on its own, with maybe just a smidge of the scramble section added in.

One thing you might try is there is a little jumper section inside. It might be set for the (I can't remember how many) dB cut. So if you have the jumper set for one setting it's full strength SCR-DI. Move it to the other two pins and it's cut signal. I think they did that for hotter active basses.

Last trick I can share is that the SCR-DI can go to 12v. If your power supply can do that for you it could give you a little more umph.

Hope this helps!!

hbabels likes this.
  12. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah Chex the jumper inside the pedal and see if the pad is engaged. It sounds like it might be that.

13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Never ran into that with mine.

I also agree with the earlier post that said it sounds fullest when used by itself.

14. heres your problem.. you have the ampeg scrambler when you should own the darkglass b7k. thatll give you the sound youre looking for.

15. That's why I personally think every drive needs a blend knob.

Wfrance3 likes this.
  16. Hepbass

Hepbass

Dec 27, 2015
    South Dakota
    It's the same thing with both of my electric basses. My acoustic is already pretty hot so it makes that sound great. I'll try the jumpers.