1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SCR-DI

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by cassanova, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Just curious to know if anyone else is using one of these, and what they're opinion on it is?

2. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    Great pedal...

I have used it with amp and cab and have used it as a pre amp going direct with IEM. It also records great, over all a great pedal/ pre amp!

3. 83Sunburst

83Sunburst

Nov 29, 2016
    Pikeville, KY
    Love it! Use it direct at church and thru headphones for practicing at home. I can't say enough good things about it! Mine was $133 on reverb brand new. Good investment.

4. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Can someone tell me what size the barrel connector is for the SCR-DI pedal's power adapter socket? Is it the more common 2.1mm inner diameter and 5.5mm outer diameter?

5. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Standard connector, - tip, 9-12 volts.

Quality piece of gear. The mini chicken head knobs aren't a good idea, otherwise seems smartly built and sounds excellent.

6. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Tried one last week, ran into a GK 700rbii and an ampeg 8x10. Into the fx return it has little volume, weak output I guess. Into the front end I had the amp fairly flat and dull sounding which was hard since I'm a big GK fan. I wanted to try and just hear the pedal. I like it, I'm buying it. Sounds like an ampeg to me and I own a Heritage SVT. I'm getting it as a back up Incase my SVT goes down. Sounds better than a VT to me.

83Sunburst and SactoBass like this.
  7. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Thanks StayLow! I ordered an SCR-DI today.

StayLow likes this.
  8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I agree with you on the knobs. Seems every time I got to turn one, I'm always accidentally turning one next to it as well. The only other thing I didn't care for was when I had to take the back off, and change the pad. That thing was a pain to get in and out, and it's so small, that if you accidentally drop it, it could very well be gone forever. Other than that, I have no complaints about the unit. It's well built, and puts out excellent tone that sounds like an Ampeg should.

9. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Yeah, there's the issue of very little room between the knobs. There's also the additional hassle that the protruding part of the knob makes it harder to grip it. My statement was based on the concern that onstage one's cable could easily fall between the knobs, catch on the "chicken" part and pull settings way out of order. When you're dealing with huge boosts of 10dB or more onboard, or the gain on the Scrambler section, that's not an accident you want to send through a massive PA.

I haven't had mine long, but so far I'm really impressed with this pedal. Far easier to get a good tone out of it than most of this type, and it sounds great. I expect it'll be largely ignored by the TB crowd because it's not a "boutique" brand, nor a brand known for much more than amps & cabs.

10. Sub41

Sub41

Jul 13, 2006
    North FL
    I've only had mine for a couple of days, but tonight I dialed in the best tone I've heard from my guitars, ever. I was starting to wonder if I just wasn't into the sound produced by it, and I love Ampeg tone, or if I hadn't hit on a good setting yet. It was the settings. Now that it's dialed in, I love it. It's great for quiet practice with headphones, into the amp sounds good, and I'll be using it for recording. I'm not a big pedal person, but this one is going to be a regular for me.

11. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Makes your amp sound like Ampeg. I sold mine only because I bought an Ampeg amp.

The ultra low button is magical.

12. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    I pre-ordered one when they were announced. I love it. Use it often to practice with headphones. Love the Scrabler OD too. It was everything I was looking for in a pedal.

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    It might just be my ears, but to me, the ultra lo sounds like it smooths everything out a bit.

83Sunburst likes this.
  14. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    That's fair to say. It adds 1 dB to 40 Hz and scoops a whopping 10 dB from 500 Hz, so there go all your mids and grind.

When I read of that extreme scoop in the manual I was aghast. Luckily the Mids knob is centered at 500 Hz so you can bring the mids back in which I'll suppose was their reasoning behind such a radical scoop. Then again, you could also scoop those mids and boost the lows by hand and since the Ultra-Lo switch isn't foot-switchable so you have to get hands-on to activate it anyway and the Bass knob is centered at 40 Hz ... it's an odd choice IMO. At least they didn't massively pump the lows with it, which is the major sin most boost/preset EQ switches are guilty of. Between the massive scoop and that you can't visually tell when the switches are engaged, I can't see myself ever using them. I might even see if I can remove or permanently defeat them so they're not engaged by accident during setup.

The Ultra-Hi works differently. It boosts 8 kHz by 5 dB whereas the Treble knob is centered at 4 kHz so to me this switch may be a lot more useful.

Another odd choice is that the Scrambler can't be tied to activation of the EQ section. It's great that they can be engaged separately, but I imagine many people would often want both engaged and doing so via a single switch would be very useful. A switch on the face of it or an internal jumper could've given that valuable and simple option.

Here's the manual, for those interested - http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/manuals/SCR-DI_OM.pdf

cassanova likes this.
  15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    There's a way to visually tell if the ultra low, and ultra hi is engaged. It's not easy to tell, but if you look closely enough, you'll see the top part of the button is gray. Under it is white. When engaged, the white part of the switch is virtually all hidden. That being said, a foot switch, or small led would've been a better idea to let you know for sure. I agree with you about them not massively pumping the lows with the 40 Hz. This is one of the only preamps I've had where to get the tone really deep, I have to really crank the control to get a lot of bottom end into my tone.

The treble contour is usually more than enough for me to dial in ample amounts of top end. I'm finding the ultra-hi switch, adds way too much sizzle, even when the ultra lo function is kicked in. That being said, it could just be I haven't found a way to benefit from using it the right way yet.

Really? I actually like that they did it like that. I typically use the scrambler with my jazz bass, and Lakland. But with my Ibanez, it doesn't do it much justice, regardless of how I set it, so I really like just being able to hit the switch and turn it on and off on the fly like that.

16. 83Sunburst

83Sunburst

Nov 29, 2016
    Pikeville, KY
    What settings work for you? I'm using a stock mim P, usually set like this: bass 1-2:00, mid noon-1:00, treb 11-1:00. I haven't used the scrambler much because I mostly use it thru headphones and don't like it much that way. Need to try it at church when I get the chance.

cassanova likes this.
  17. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    I tried one today at GC and it didn't grab me, but reading this thread makes me think I ought to go back, with my bass, and try it some more. I was running it into the line-in jack of a Fender Rumble 200, which hugely does not sound like the Peavey TKO combo or the Sennheiser headphones I'm used to. I need to eliminate some variables so I can better focus on the SCR-DI only.

It seems like a great blend of features, and I'd love to go preamp pedal>power amp>cab for my next/larger rig, and the ability to use it alone as a headphone amp is appealing. I'd sure like to see some chassis-mounted pots and switches on something that could conceivably be used on the floor, though. Felt like some board-mounted pot shaft wiggle was going on, to me.

18. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Had to bump this. Playing through my headphones tonight I realized there was a subtle, yet very much there, presence of the drive knob with the Scrambler turned off. The only reason I noticed was because I was playing it with my usual configuration (Keeley>BarbershopME>SCR) and it seemed a bit dirtier sounding than usual. After tweaking some settings on the other pedals and starting to think it was my headphones starting to crap out, I dialed back the drive knob on the Scrambler and whattaya know...a VERY audible (though slight) impact resulting a a touch more dirt. I can quite clearly hear it raise the dirt (again, it's a very subtle dirt, but it's there) and lower it with the knob. It seems to roll off/boost at about 10 o'clock. It's also not dependent on where the blend is set. I couldn't find anything in the manual. Is this normal? Anyone else notice this?

As far as the other points discussed, the chicken heads wouldn't have been my first choice either and they (maybe the pots in general) feel kinda flimsy. I very much enjoy the live sound of this box. I feel it defineitly beats the VT out in the tone department by a very long shot. They seemed to be very conscious of where they placed the mid and low frequencies on this beast and where the VT can get all ice-pick city without even trying, I can't say the same about the SCR. It sounds way more amp-like, IMO.

19. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    That's interesting. I'm gonna check mine out.

20. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Try it through some phones if you get the chance.