1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg Scrambler OD

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by burtonisalive, Apr 29, 2006.

1. I just picked up the Ampeg Scrambler OD pedal. This pedal kicks ass. To all of the people that are wondering if this pedal is worth the $230, stop wondering. At least give it a shot. I have tried the EH Big Muff Pi and was left wanting. I tried the Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-8, and was unsatisfied. The Boss ODB-3 is a great pedal for guitar-like bass overdrive, but not warm, fat distortion tones.

If you want your distortion to sound warm, like Tim C. from Audioslave/Rage Against the Machine, then give this pedal a shot. I do not experience any muddiness, at least none that you get from an overdrive. My plucking is distinguishable and fat.

Plus, it is true bypass!

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Cool. Congrats on finding a piece of kit that's worth getting excited about. IME, a good bass OD/distortion is the hardest thing to find in pedal form. Most people go through dozens before they're totally satisfied. I hope it stands the test of time for you.:bassist:

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Any way to post some sound clips? This is a pedal I've definately been checking out.

4. Ok, on my Myspace page, I have a quick track of the Ampeg Scrambler, along with the Boss Delay DD-6 in the beginning and end parts. This is just one setting, which I like, and it was done quickly. The pedal is quite dynamic. You can adjust the Texture, which changes the harmonic distortion. So, with that, you can focus more on lower end distortion or higher end. You can also adjust the Balance, which adjusts the addition of unmodified sound. So, just how distorted you want it to be, and at what harmonics can be adjusted. This pedal seems to me that at the higher harmonic distortion would be good for pop and slap. But, for me, I like the low end.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Funnily I tried it a couple weeks ago and found it terrible.
    Nice grain but no lows at all, no sustain and too much fartin'.
    Can't say I'm a fan of the tone in your clip either.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I coulda sworn they were a bit harsher sounding. But I guess it retains the bottom really well because of the blend. May have to build me a clone :)

7. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    That's quite an interesting sound, almost synth-ish. I like it :D

Unfortunately I doubt I'm going to be able to pick one up anytime soon, I really wasn't planning on paying that much for an OD... But the tone is very nice. Good clip, burton, I liked the way it sounded on your piece there much better than the Musicansfriend clip, actually...

-Dash

8. I listened to it, and i was wondering...what was with that noise at the beginning? is the pedal noisy?

9. No, that was me rubbing the strings with it and the delay on. I did not want too much dead air at the beginning, so I improvised.

Also, to Jazz Ad, the clip was quickly done, with a lower end Boss recorder, so it does not sound as good as it does through an amp. That riff is not intended to have any distortion, I just figured that since it was a bottem end bass line, it might give you guys an idea of what the pedal sounded like.

10. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks for the clip.