Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Setup........Do I Need More?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassclarinet7, Jul 5, 2001.

1. bassclarinet7

bassclarinet7 Guest

Jul 5, 2001
    I recently Purchased an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro head and a Ampeg 8x10. I bought the 4 pro over the Ampeg SVT Classic because I wanted the dependibility of a solid state, but I still had the tone of tubes, since I have a three tube pre amp. I use it with a cheap power conditioner in the rack, along with a korg rack tuner. My question is.......Is there something I could add to my setup to improve it's sound. another cabinet, a pre amp, an effects board, something. I love my sound now, but it feels like there is something missing.

Also, has anyone heard of problems with th SVT 4 Pro?
    I don't want to keep it if it's accident prone.
    Thanks

2. Do you run in mono/bridged mode? You could run in stereo and add another 8x10 cab. Or you could use it with the 8x10 and a 2x15 cab bi-amped. You can get better tone with the crossover (obviously). I don't have any experience with this amp but Ampeg has a track record of building tanks. I play an SVT3-PRO and haven't had any problems with it yet.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You certainly don't NEED anything else with that rig. If you have an empty space in the rack that is bugging you, I would suggest a really nice compressor (always a must for bass) or a multi-effects unit. I am not a big fan of bass effects but a little chorus here, a little flang there? Maybe some synth? Maybe some dirt? Makes for interesting conversation. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, by all means spend it before sanity sets in.

In the late 80s-early 90s, I played an SVT200-T and two SVT115s for 3 summer tours totaling about 400 shows and more rehearsals than I can think of. Chicago style blues band. I was on stage with a guitar, piano, drummer, two trumpets, tenor saxphone and a trombone. Four backup singers and lead vocalists who played harp. It pushed 350 watts at 4 ohms and I almost always kept it jacked. I beat five MIJ P basses into submission, but the Ampeg never blinked. Not once. I don't think I ever even blew a fuse or heard a post scratch. I'd go to war with Ampeg anyday.

Chas

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You don't need any more. You have enough power in your rig to play large out-door show's. Now WANTING more is another thing :D

5. bassclarinet7

bassclarinet7 Guest

Jul 5, 2001
    Well, thank you everyone, for your help.
    As far as the effects go, I was considering a Line6 POD Pro to the rack, along with an equalizer, and maybe a crossover or gate/compressor of the sort. I don't know if there is something better, or if this sounds good.
    Thanks

6. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    You certainly don't NEED more, sounds like you've got a great rig. A compressor might be something cool to add, but what I'd really reccomend is a BBE sonic maximizer. It's a wonderful device that's only about $200 and does great things to one's tone.

7. It really depends on what style you're playing and what sound you're after...

Compression is useful (although I thought the SVT4 has it built-in?), but unfortunately over-used alot with bass - it's great for adding definition for slap and percussive styles, but too many people use it to clean up bad playing, evening-out the signal, etc.

Effects are useful, when used sparingly. A phaser or chorus will add a nice swirl to the overall sound and thicken it up nicely. Distortion is almost a must, even if all you use it for is a volume boost. Nothing sounds like a bass solo with grit! :D A lot of other effects out there have their uses, but most are one-trick ponies (octaves, synths, flangers, tremelo, vibrato, etc). Some FX (such as BBE sonic maximisers), while sounding great, often are simply making up for inadequacies of the original rig.

But apart from those I reckon just tweak your rig until you a) understand what it can do, and b) find the sound that gives you the baby's arm. You've got a killer start, don't kill it with un-necessary extras.