1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SLM 810 VS AMPEG LOUD 810 WEIGHT.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rodslinger, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Rodslinger

Rodslinger Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2013
    RVA & then some
    Hi! I've had many Ampeg 810s over the years. A long love/hate relationship with them. Every time I think I'm done with them I go running back. That tone gets me every time but the weight of moving em makes leaves Ill. I've owned 5 since the mid 90s. Four of the SLM OSB versions and one Plywood Loud version. I'm jumping back on the bandwagon with number 6. I traded my SLM 610HLF for a same condition SLM 810E. While lifting this beast into my Xterra I noticed either I was seriously old (I'll be 47 in Jan) or the old SLM 810s weigh a lot more than the Asian/LOUD built ones. I know there is a definite difference in tone from SLM to LOUD but how much weight was LOUD able to drop going from OSB to Plywood? Felt like the SLM 810 weighed 25-30lbs more than the LOUD 810 I had a couple years back or am I just old & crazy?

2. No you ain't crazy. That's about right. ..if not more of a weight save...

Rodslinger likes this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Jimmy Riot, voided3 and Rodslinger like this.
  4. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    I bought an SLM OSB 8x10 recently from 1996. The tolex had been stripped and the cabinet was sanded and painted, which much have been done partially as a weight relieving measure in addition to being an aesthetic upgrade. It weighs 154.7 pounds according to my bathroom scale, ten pounds lighter than stock! That’s a lot of tolex and glue.

To make it easier to live with, I upgraded the caster wheels to sealed bearing polyurethane and installed handles on the bottom. It rolls much smoother and is easier to get an ergonomic grip on it when loading it in an SUV. It also came with an extremely nice padded cover that makes it easier to slide around, though I still use a moving blanket when loading as outlined by Dino on Ampeg’s YouTube.

DC5_B5_AC5_5213_42_F3_BA66_5_AAA4_A397_B86.jpg D9612CFD-3D50-4CD0-BC94-DC6DFE8EB646.jpeg

Jimmy Riot and Rodslinger like this.
  5. Rodslinger

Rodslinger Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2013
    RVA & then some
    The spring loaded handles on the bottom are a life saver! I put em on two of my cabs. The only 810 to carry better than my Ampeg 810s was my Traynor TC810 that thing had built in handles everywhere Metal side handles with top and bottom bar handles

voided3 likes this.
  6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The Mesa PH810 is loaded up with handles the same way: top, sides and bottom. And then slide rails on the back.

Rodslinger likes this.
  7. The old flat backs are fairly light compared to the rest of them, I regularly schlep them and they're are not that bad to move, in fact I'd rather lug a cab than a head.

Rodslinger and beans-on-toast like this.
  8. So has the 'new' Fender Bassman Pro Neo 810 and, I think, the 610 also.
    Agree. Bottom handles would be a great idea on all large cabs.
    I've only got one 'large' cab now. .mostly I'll use one or two Fender Bassman Pro Neo 115 cabs. ..but my large cab is the Bergantino NV215. And while not huge. .. it'd still be nice with a cuppla spring loaded handles on its @ss

Rodslinger likes this.