Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Solid State Flip-Top: How old is it and how much is it worth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tonedeaf, Jan 10, 2003.

1. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

This is a follow-up to an earlier post. I have been given the opportunity to buy an Ampeg solid state fliptop combo from my uncle. He got it as part of a package deal. He plays upright bass in a number of bands, but had never used amplification until recently, when he got a great deal on an Ampeg Baby Bass and two combos, a newer "Rocketbass" 1x15 and the one I'm asking about here.

He doesn't really know anything about amplifiers, but he likes the newer one and said he'd sell me the older one for $100.

If it's worth much more than that, I don't want to rip him off, so I'd like to get a reasonable idea of what it's worth.

Based on what I've read in the forums here and elsewhere on the net, I'm pretty sure it's circa 1967.

I'm posting a few pictures here in the hopes that someone may be able to correct me on the age if I'm wrong and give some idea of its value.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. tonedeaf

Top up and down. (I'm pretty sure those casters aren't original, :rolleyes: but the dolly they're attached to is.)
    [​IMG]

3. tonedeaf

Inside the cabinet, and the speaker jack. Check out the weird four-prong connection.
    [​IMG]

4. tonedeaf

Front panel, full and closeups
    [​IMG]

5. tonedeaf

Back panel, including closeups of nameplate and serial number (072309)
    [​IMG]

6. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
  7. tonedeaf

tim4003,

Thanks. That site is where I got most of the information before I posted here. Just wanted some confirmation.

Now, anybody have an idea about what it's worth?

8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

You will prolly have to go to a collector's site. Try www.fliptops.com If the amp sounds good, it's worth what you are willing to pay for it. Check ebay. Most early SS amps sounded terrible!!

If it sounds bad, put it in you attic for 75 years, then sell it. That's the only way you'll profit on this one. Unless it's collectable.

9. Yah, 1967. That was the transitional year between the blue-check covering and the black cosmetics that lasted into the 70s.
    Supposedly, they're inferior to their tube-powered equivalents. I can't say. But if you like it, buy it. At worst, it would make a damned cool acquarium stand.
    KFS

10. tonedeaf

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Tone is pretty subjective, I guess. I've played the amp by itself and in a band setting and decided I like it.

My problem is, it's my uncle's amp right now, and I don't want to rip him off by paying $100 if it's worth a bunch more. I'm okay with it up to about $400 because he got a really good deal on it, but if for some crazy reason it's worth $1000 I want to tell him about it so he can sell it to someone else for more money.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Tube B-15's aren't going for $1000. These are much less desirable but still pretty cool IMO. I don't think they sound bad at all. If he wants to sell it to you for $100 that's a fair price. If you want to give him $300 I guess you could do that too. Either way IMO you wouldn't be ripping him off. Who came up with the price?

12. tonedeaf

Brad,
    Thanks. I was pretty sure it wasn't worth a whole lot, but since it was in the family and I wanted to be sure just in case.

He's the one who decided on $100, and he did get a GREAT deal on it. ($400 for an Ampeg Baby bass, newer B15 solid state "blue check" combo, and this amp.):eek:

Again, I appreciate everyone's input.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Last deal I got like that (68 Jazz with Silvertone 2-12 tube amp) I gave the amp to a friend.